Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 12-15-2019, 05:23 PM   #16
TipsyMcStagger

All good points. Luckily, two of the three walls will be framed from scratch. One wall is an outside wall. This is a concrete block home built in the 80's. There are two very loud A/C units on the other side of the block wall. The inside of the block has only furring strips and drywall. That entire block wall will get framed with a traditional 2x4 interior wall, which will be offset 1/4" to 1/2" away from the block.

We are framing to provide a cavity for Rockwool Safe n Sound, in hopes of lessening the noise from the A/C units. This will also allow space to install a Geberit in-wall toilet carrier (designed for 2x4 installations).

The framed wall is the reason the room will end up being about 4 1/2' wide. It's currently the more typical 5' wide.

Also, the back shower wall will be framed with 2x6's, to create the desired wall-to-wall niche.

I've used this contractor in the past and feel confident his framing will be as plumb and true as possible.

Thanks for the continued good input.
Unread 12-16-2019, 07:11 AM   #17
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
You'll love the Geberit system, Brad, just be certain all the framing is solid and screwed (not nailed) together.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2019, 07:20 AM   #18
TipsyMcStagger

Yeah, I had that conversation with the contractor. In his 30ish years in business in this area, he's never had a residential client opt for an in-wall toilet system. I've watched all of the videos and did a lot of reading. The importance of a solidly framed wall became abundantly clear during that research.

I told the contractor there will be no such thing as over-doing it, when it comes to framing that wall. I want it to be rock solid!
Unread 12-16-2019, 08:03 AM   #19
TipsyMcStagger

I just read a comment in another thread regarding choosing a drain grate pattern, when installing a linear drain at the front of the shower.

I'll be installing drain at the back of the shower but I never would have thought that the drain grate pattern was anything more than an aesthetic choice.

I've had this tile insert linear drain bookmarked for quite a while. Is there any reason to avoid this type of linear drain?

Last edited by TipsyMcStagger; 12-16-2019 at 08:29 AM.
TipsyMcStagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2019, 05:45 PM   #20
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Hopefully that should work as there's a gap for water to drain along the entire width of the thing. Some of the grates have an uninterrupted path across them for water like some of these https://www.schluter.com/schluter-us...E/p/KERDI_LINE . In your tiled choice, there's a full-width slot on both sides, so it should catch it all.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2020, 11:18 AM   #21
TipsyMcStagger

Daltile White Subway Question

I've decided to go with 4x16 white subway tile in my master bath renovation. The local tile supplier that my GC recommended has a white 4x16 Daltile from a line called "Linear," which has a marked price of $7.34 sq ft.

Home Depot has a line of Daltile called "Restore." They have white 4x16 for $2.33 sq ft.

I bought a single tile at HD and brought it to the other showroom and laid the two atop one another. They appear to be identical. The brightness/color of the white looked to be the same and the thickness seemed identical.

I called Daltile and asked if these are in fact the same product. The rep I spoke with told me how HD requires Daltile to offer specific product for sale at HD and how they have huge bulk buying power, etc, etc. She told me the HD line does not have as many coordinating pieces available, which is of no concern for my application.

I asked her if these are physically the same product sold under different names, to which she would not give me a straight answer. Finally, I said, "it sounds like you're not allowed to answer this question and you're trying to say "read between the lines, dummy." She sort of chuckled and I got the feeling she was agreeing with me.

I can't see paying more than three times the price at the wholesaler when I can seemingly get the same product at HD for a fraction of the price.

Just wanted to get some opinions from those with experience. I will be buying the floor tile for the bathroom (Happy Tile) and the bedroom (Tesoro) from the wholesaler, but I intend to buy the subway tile from HD.

Thanks as always.
Unread 02-14-2020, 11:36 AM   #22
cx
Moderator emeritus

Brad, do the tiles from either supplier indicate that they meet the standards of ANSI A137.1?

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2020, 12:53 PM   #23
TipsyMcStagger

Good question. The .pdf specifications sheet on HD's site on the Daltile Restore product page says, "All Standard Grade ceramic tile products manufactured by or for Dal-Tile meet or exceed the requirements of ANSI A137.1"

So it appears the answer is yes, both products meet or exceed the standards of ANSI A137.1.
Unread 02-14-2020, 01:11 PM   #24
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

It only stands to reason that Dal sells tremendous amounts of tile to HD and, as a result, they sell them cheaper. In my opinion, the differences are negligible.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2020, 01:17 PM   #25
TipsyMcStagger

Lazarus, that's my feeling as well.

But then again, one can spend hours reading about whether the Moen, Delta, etc. fixtures sold at the big box stores are the same quality as those sold through plumbing supply houses.

The guy who's going to be laying the tile told me to go to HD and place a few pieces of the 4x16 back-to-back against one another. He said if they are flat and true, don't worry about it.

I went to HD last night and played with a few pieces. They seemed very flat to me.
Unread 02-14-2020, 01:35 PM   #26
speed51133

if the sku is the exact same, it is the same. if the sku is different, there is a chance it is different. what could make it different?? who knows. not as tight quality control for box stores??? Maybe, at least that is what I have heard for things like wood flooring.

With respect to faucets and shower parts, it is not the same thing. The models and sku's at the big box stores are NOT the same you see at showrooms and plumbing supply. They have specific lines for box stores, in fact, some lines are Home Depot / Lowes / Menards exclusives and you won't find them anywhere else.

The "quality" is for sure lower at the box stores because they demand a certain price point for the bathroom stuff. Does not mean it won't work or will fail, just means more plastics used instead of brass and lower cost valves.

Again, no idea on the tiles, but I have industry experience with the plumbing parts.
Unread 02-14-2020, 02:35 PM   #27
TipsyMcStagger

Unfortunately, I don't have any way to compare SKU's.

My sister was in the garment industry for many years and always told me how the often the same items were sold under different labels with huge variations in the selling price. Same thing goes for generic pain killers and store brand food, etc.

Obviously, I can't be sure that's the case here, but logic would seem to dictate so.
Unread 02-14-2020, 03:03 PM   #28
cx
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
So it appears the answer is yes, both products meet or exceed the standards of ANSI A137.1.
That being the case, Brad, you can be sure (as sure as one can hope to be) that both tiles meet at least the minimum requirement of that standard. If you can get the specifics from each supplier, you may be able to identify differences in one or more of the tests under that Standard, but at least it's possible to determine what each claims as their test results.

If you are not able to determine any difference upon a visual inspection, I would think it reasonable to consider them the same product if the claims on the packaging are the same. I would want to check the flatness of the actual tiles if possible to determine just how suitable they might be for your project.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2020, 03:44 PM   #29
TipsyMcStagger

Thanks for the good feedback. Much appreciated!
Unread 02-15-2020, 09:26 AM   #30
TipsyMcStagger

Everything is guttted. I've changed my mind on the tile from what is listed earlier in this thread. I'll still be using a (different) 12x24 on the floor, continuing up the back shower wall, but the flanking walls will be white 4x16 subway tile.

I bough the 48" Neodrain tile insert linear drain from Amazon. The shower will probably be about 54" wide, so this drain won't quite span the full width of the wall, but the tile setter said he'll make sure it's all pitched properly.

Infinity Drain makes a cut-to-fit linear drain but wow, it's more than $1K! I'm not into cutting corners but I can't see spending that kind of money on a drain. I hope the Neodrain I bought for 1/10th the price isn't junk. It has plenty of good reviews Amazon.

I also decided to use the Toto in-wall carrier instead of the Geberit, because I decided to splurge on a Washlet seat. The Toto carrier with the new "EP" bowl integrates better with the bidet seat, concealing the hose and power cord much better than with the Geberit.

I also decided to move the window out of the shower. It's a concrete block wall so that will add some time and expense, but it was bugging me so I decided what the heck.

Last edited by TipsyMcStagger; 02-15-2020 at 11:02 AM. Reason: spelling
TipsyMcStagger is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase