Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-17-2020, 09:59 PM   #1
Linkjn

Shower to tub project— no grout?

I’m new here (and wish I would have found this place sooner). First kid on the way and we have a contractor doing a shower to tub project in the guest bedroom.

Contractor was instructed to do 1/16 or 1/8 grout on the tile, but it looks like he left no room for grout.... Also does not look like enough space for caulk where the tub meets the tile.

Full disclosure is that I’m a complete amateur— first house and no remodel/tile experience. Got home late from work and thought I would hear from the experts here. Any insight is appreciated. Thank you

Unread 01-17-2020, 10:01 PM   #2
Linkjn

Note that there are “spacers” on the left, but none on the right.

Unable to fit a razor blade between some of the tiles on the right....
Unread 01-17-2020, 11:27 PM   #3
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Welcome to the forum, Jarrett.

Sorry to hear. It’s a bit tough to see the groutlines in the pics as they aren’t straight-on shots. But from an industry standpoint, the minimum groutline standard is 1/16”. And if you’ve asked for 1/16”-1/8”....not sure why a contractor would not deliver.

In addition, I don’t see the required mesh tape at the horizontal seam of the left ‘wet wall’, nor does it look like there’s any in the vertical corner...So I’ve got an immediate red flag going up.

Which makes me ask the next question of: What material (exactly) is being used to set the tiles? Glass tile is well known to be finicky and not every setting material is appropriate.

I assume you haven’t spoken to the contractor since?

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2020, 12:56 AM   #4
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Jarrett.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrett
...a contractor doing a shower to tub project in the guest bedroom.
Do I understand that to mean there is not a shower associated with that tub surround?

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2020, 02:33 AM   #5
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

If there is a shower head, what type of moisture barrier was used behind the tiles?

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2020, 05:23 AM   #6
smifwal

WHERE'S THE WATERPROOFING??? As for the lack of gap I would bet the tub isn't level as so few are, but in turn your guy should have shaved some of the bottom row, in his defense glass tile doesn't like to shave but it can be done. I am most concerned about the waterproofing method, cause if there isn't any, that lack of gap is the least of your concerns.
Unread 01-18-2020, 07:27 AM   #7
Linkjn

Thanks for the quick responses. Unfortunately I do not see any waterproofing or membrane being laid down— none in the corners or on the tile backer board.

See below for a picture of the mortar being used.

I
Unread 01-18-2020, 07:29 AM   #8
Linkjn

Here’s another close shot of the backer board, mortar and tile.

Yikes. My guess is that this has to be ripped out and replaced.

Unread 01-18-2020, 07:37 AM   #9
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
I see the opening at the top of the left wall for the shower head arm.

If you can't even get a razor blade between the tiles, Jarrett, then you'll not be able to get grout between them either. Lots of tile, glass included, have a slight bevel to the sides, but that won't be deep enough to hold the grout.

The lack of water proofing is certainly an issue, any idea/indication that he may have hung plastic sheeting behind the wall board?
ss3964spd is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2020, 08:14 AM   #10
Linkjn

I will ask him if there was any plastic sheeting. He is coming over later this morning.

I just had a brief phone conversation with him, and he is trying to say that Redgard could have been an extra “option”, but not required because the backer board and caulk would be enough of a water barrier. Not the response I was hoping to hear.
Unread 01-18-2020, 08:21 AM   #11
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Nor the response you'd want to hear.

While the glass tile is water proof the grout and backer board are not. Caulk is, but is highly dependent on being properly installed to create a seal, and caulk will, eventually, fail.

Afraid you've got your hands full here, Jarrett, sorry about that.
ss3964spd is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2020, 08:25 AM   #12
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I believe the first place you'll have problems is in the niche and window. Those horizontal surfaces will catch a lot of water. How are those built, just Hardiboard screwed to the wood framing? By the way, Hardiboard is not waterproof.

www.davystephenstile.com
Unread 01-18-2020, 08:33 AM   #13
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Here's a shower that had cement board behind the tiles with no moisture barrier. Hardi won't stop the water any faster. You can see the black mold in the green board. All the studs on the bottom half of the shower were saturated too. You have a tub which is a little different situation but you still can see what we're talking about. The bathroom door, which is on the far left, would not close due to the swelled studs.
Attached Images

www.davystephenstile.com

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase