Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-12-2020, 03:46 PM   #1
madkaw284

Filling hole’s in concrete foundation

Hey guys, I’m new here looking for some advice. My question is, I had to reroute some plumbing for the new shower we’re building, in order to reroute the plumbing I had to cut out a section of concrete, move the pipes over and stab them up, now I’m ready to backfill. The rough dimensions of the cut out are 24“ x 6“ by roughly 4 inches deep. I also have a hole roughly 8 x 12“ x 4“ deep where the shower drain is, when I removed the previous shower pan it was not filled in around the drain pipe. My question to you guys that actually know what you’re doing, what is the proper way to do this? I have tamped down the clay sand mix that I dug out Very firmly and him planning on putting some Visqueen down, there was no rebar that I cut through should I put any rebar in the new mix? And also what type of mix should I be using? I’m planning on building the pre pitch and then laying the membrane down and building up the mud bed and tiling over this, I just want to make sure I put the right stuff down for the foundation so I don’t have tile issues down the road. Thanks in advance for all your help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Unread 01-12-2020, 04:49 PM   #2
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

Opinions certainly can vary, but I just usually use brick morter (mason mix) Always seems to work for me....but I imagine pretty much any concrete mix would work....

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2020, 05:34 PM   #3
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

In my opinion, the best way is to drill holes into the edge of the concrete and try to slide a few sticks of rebar across. I don't do that every time but I do use thinset on the edge of the concrete to bond the new concrete with the old. I use the Maximizer concrete mix.

I'd first fill the hole with sand (wet it and pack it) to the bottom of the slab and go with concrete the rest of the way.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2020, 06:35 PM   #4
madkaw284

So I should use something to make sure the new concrete bonds to the existing?

Unread 01-12-2020, 06:51 PM   #5
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

That’s what Davy was referring to with the thinset mortar....to bond the two.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2020, 07:22 PM   #6
Kman

The edges that are rough will probably hold fairly well by nature, but I still drill and dowel them.

For the ones that are cut smooth, I'd definitely drill and dowel them. Make sure you have your drain in before pouring concrete though.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2020, 08:08 PM   #7
madkaw284

Thanks guys. Yeah, I plan on putting a 3 part drain flange in there and then I’ll do the filling. I’ll be posting a lot more as I’m doing this project. I have many more questions coming!

Unread 01-12-2020, 09:33 PM   #8
madkaw284

I have another question regarding the backfill. How high should the bottom of the three piece flange be off the foundation? I guess what I’m eluding to is how thick should the pre pitch be by the drain. I’ll attack a picture of the drain I’m using.

Unread 01-12-2020, 10:46 PM   #9
Kman

3/4" is good.

More is okay if you just enjoy mixing mud.

Unread 01-13-2020, 03:25 PM   #10
madkaw284

So I drilled holes in the existing concrete and put some 3/8 rebar in there as best as I could and safety wired them together, glued on the flange to 3/4” above slab, coated the existing concrete with an adhesion promoter, mixed up some fiber reinforced Sakrete and voila!

Unread 01-13-2020, 04:27 PM   #11
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Kerry.

Looks like and excellent job of patch preparation.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2020, 05:00 PM   #12
Fast eddie part deux

Looks real good with one exception. You should have put sleeves around the pipes to keep them away from the concrete. More important with copper pipe, but still good practice. A wrap or two of the very thin foam sheet works well.

With regard to the big gap around the drain ... contractors typically do that so they can stub up the pipe and and go back later to set the drain body in an exact location. A little room for adjustment.
Unread 01-13-2020, 05:01 PM   #13
madkaw284

Thanks everyone! As I said before, Ill be pretty frequent here until this project is complete. I’ll do the best I can to look for already posted topics that may answer my questions. Again, Thanks everyone
Unread 01-17-2020, 03:46 PM   #14
madkaw284

Wood 2x4 shower curb on concrete slab?

I’m getting mixed reviews. I have a concrete foundation and want to build a curb for our new shower and am thinking about using the “curb perfect” system, but I keep hearing mixed reviews on putting wood directly on concrete which I get, but some say to just use pressure treated as the first piece or can you wrap the base piece in plastic or is there just another way about doing this that’ll work better? Thanks everyone!

Unread 01-17-2020, 04:03 PM   #15
Kman

Wink

Kerry, this is one of those times when having one thread for your project is important, so that someone reading your latest question will know the background. For example, in your case you're using a PVC liner for your waterproofing. That's important to know in order to answer your question accurately.

I like to make my curbs out of concrete when going over a slab. I know they're solid and won't shrink or expand. But my waterproofing is a sheet membrane, which is a little different than yours.

In your case, I would put a strip of plastic or roofing felt on the floor, and stack 2x4's to the desired height. You can secure the bottom piece at the ends and it won't go anywhere, unless it's a long piece.

The barrier keeps any moisture from the slab from getting into the lumber, and the use of lumber allows you to wrap and secure your liner.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase