Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 11-17-2019, 10:43 PM   #1
tman1991

bathtub tiling question

So im thinking ahead to my next project after I do my shower.

This is a picture of my bathtub. This was from 8 years ago when the house was being built, the area i circled is a lip in the bathtub that seems to integrate with the surround.

Now I wont know fully until I take the surround out what that tub flange looks like, but this looks concerning that Im got have some weird plastic thing sticking out that durock would be able to deal with.. I guess its possible that will just be some feature that sticks out of the bathrub and i can just ignore it, but this looks like this tub might not be able to have tile around it? Anyone see anything like this? This is a build grade Sterling tub & surround.

I did look at other pictures and noticed the corners are from the surround and not the tub, ie the corners of the tub goto the wall joints.
Attached Images

Unread 11-17-2019, 11:33 PM   #2
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Hi, Travis.

Can you post a closer picture?

It looks like there is a horizontal seam located a couple inches up from the tub’s shoulder. If that’s the case, it seems like you’ve got a 2-piece tub surround (conversely, a lack of a seam would mean it’s a 1-piece tub surround). So, if you’ve got a 2-piece tub surround, removing the wall section will expose a flange from the tub that runs back towards the wall. It’ll have several ~3/8” holes that allow plastic or metal hardware to join the two. It’s not meant to be tiled against. I suppose you could attach a vertical tiling flange to help with waterproofing. But you’d still have multiple holes to fill.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2019, 11:41 PM   #3
tman1991

does this help? this is from the back and you can see the tub flange. This looks tileable except the part where it meets the wall in the other picture where it sticks out..
Attached Images

Unread 11-18-2019, 11:30 PM   #4
tman1991

Closer pictures of current installed. Looks like it might be possible to tile over that flange but that protrusion will be a challenge. That might make it impossible
Attached Images

Unread 11-19-2019, 07:05 AM   #5
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
I have to agree, Travis, I don't see it happening from here. You'll know better when you take it apart but factor replacing it into your budget, and your mind.
ss3964spd is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2019, 12:49 PM   #6
tman1991

yeah taking out a bathtub in a finished walls isnt that bad you can cut it apart if you have too.

however putting one back is more challenging and usually involves a loud thud as the tub hits the ground lol.
Unread 11-19-2019, 01:49 PM   #7
ss3964spd

My guess is that there's a flange that the drywall is covering. So even if you remove only the top portion of that unit you're going to break the drywall, necessitating replacement.
Unread 11-19-2019, 02:55 PM   #8
tman1991

well i would cut around the flange above and take out the 1" or so overlap of drywall and unscrew the top portion. Then see what on earth the bottom looks like. If there is a nice tile flange great, that protrusion even with a flange looks problematic, but will have to investigate.. But I will just expect that i will have to take out the tub and put a new one in.
Unread 11-20-2019, 06:45 AM   #9
ss3964spd

There's likely to be a 2X4 stud behind that flange, Tavis, so if you cut the DW back from the flange the new cut edge will likely fall on the outside edge of the stud or before it, leaving nothing to reattached the DW to.

Just guesses though, you'll see what you're dealing with once deconstruction begins.
Unread 01-08-2020, 12:08 PM   #10
tman1991

so going to start this project soon..

when i install the new bathtub, i have a plumbing question.

In what order do you attach the plumbing to the bathtub? I have very limited access to it once installed. Do I try to install the connections to the tub then put that into the stack? or have it all ready installed in the stack and attach to tub post install somehow?

They used to have you use plumbers putty to attach the drain, now they want you to use silicone which i can see would be harder to do in a blind setting..

Thoughts?
Unread 01-08-2020, 07:02 PM   #11
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Looking at you pictures, isn't the tub already installed? Are there holes already drilled in the panel for the valve? Are there any instructions with the tub that mention the plumbing? The tub you have is a little different than we usually see.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2020, 07:12 PM   #12
tman1991

thats my old tub.. More than likely when i remove that surround the tub wont be able to be reused due to flanges it has for the surround.

So im putting in a new american standard 30" tub (well thats the plan). I know when i did this many years ago someone told me a suggested order of attaching the plumbing..
Unread 01-09-2020, 07:04 AM   #13
ss3964spd

You might get lucky, the old drain and overflow assembly might line up with the new tub.

And you might not. I'm having trouble seeing how you can pre-attach the drain assembly to the tub, then install the tub, without possibly hitting the assembly against something. But even if you could, you'll still need to get under it to connect the new to the old. You could possibly set the new tub in place, take some carefull measurements from some hard reference points, remove the tub, then assemble the drain set up.
Unread 01-11-2020, 10:48 PM   #14
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

You’re going to have to do at least one dry fitting so that you can align the drain assembly. With non accessible locations like that, you need to install the drain assembly and drop the tub into position for the drain and overflow connections. There’s a tool called a “Smart-Dumbell” that engages the drain flange’s ‘cross-hairs’ to rotate it down tight.

Name:  4B3BB206-0A98-4857-99A3-A693B839B555.jpeg
Views: 82
Size:  30.9 KB
Click pic for link.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2020, 11:22 PM   #15
tman1991

Ok got the tub in. Decided to hire a plumber to help assist.

We did create a small crack in the flange in the corner. Its above the deck still in the flange and we didnt attached it anywhere in that area as we disnt want to create any more stresses. I'm gonna try to do a patch on it to at least see if that helps. But the tub is mortared down and screwed in a few places. It's not going to move.

So that part sucks about the flange but dont see any major issues

Now the durock goes on top of the flange and stops right? Tile goes down and covers the flange leaving a gap for silicone?
Attached Images

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase