Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-19-2020, 01:49 PM   #16
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

You might wet the white cushion left over from the vinyl. That might make it easier to come up. Wet a small area with a wet sponge and let it soak in 10 minutes or so.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2020, 08:55 AM   #17
Metropolitan Ceramics

Most self leveling underlayments will require a primer of some sort, make sure to follow the directions to get a good bond to your existing substrate.

The tiles themselves are made by a large, US based tile producer and should be decent quality but it never hurts to check ahead of time. Use at least a 1/8" grout joint and leave a 1/4" gap around the perimeter of the room without grout to allow for movement. You can cover the gap with quarter-round or other trim. A leveling system wouldn't hurt to get everything even, I did planks like this in my last house and ended up with lippage despite my best intentions. A good large and heavy tile mortar will help keep things from sinking after you've installed them, make sure not to go too cheap on your mortar and make sure it says it's for large and heavy tiles. Back butter the tiles for good bond and pull a piece here and there as you go to make sure you're getting good coverage.

Good luck!
Unread 01-20-2020, 12:21 PM   #18
Doug P

Thanks for the tips so far! I had planned on starting the tile 6esterday, i did not plan on the floor being such a b***h to get up....

2 gallons of goof off and some sore handes later.

I still need to go back with the hand scraper...
Attached Images

Unread 01-20-2020, 12:34 PM   #19
cx
Moderator emeritus

The problem with using that chemical remover, Doug, is that now your concrete surface is probably well sealed. You'll want to do a test by pouring a little water on the surface and seeing how well it soaks into the concrete. Or, more likely, doesn't.

I think you'll now want to mechanically scarify the surface. Yep, more PITA, and a lot more dust, but you really want a good surface to which to bond your tile or your membrane.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2020, 02:32 PM   #20
Doug P

figures, but to be honest, that glue wasn't coming up without the GoofOff product.

I washed it with water and dawn dish soap after to get the residual solvent and smell out, but it don't think the water was soaking in at all to the floor. I'll double check today.

i assume that that's something that a primer (henrys?) wouldn't work on and as you said, a good roughing up would needed?

Last edited by cx; 01-20-2020 at 03:20 PM.
Doug P is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2020, 03:26 PM   #21
smifwal

Forgive my absurd drawing but if you scrape your floor (with a hand scraper) in this fashion you will get the best results. Flipping your scraper over each pass is also a good idea as it will clean your blade so you get the most contact. You will need more blades than you think so but a bunch.
Attached Images

Unread 01-22-2020, 03:08 PM   #22
Doug P

Can't wait to start scraping....

Regardless of what i do with the floor as far as roughing it up (looking into renting a machine for it) i talked to a rep for laticrete who recomended going over the floor with their Prime and Bond and then using their 254 Platinum thin set?

Edit: so i see it says on the install guide for lifeproof to use a medium bed mortar. When i talked to Laticrete i told them the size of the tile and they still recomended the 254? Which is a thinset, right...?

Last edited by Doug P; 01-22-2020 at 03:58 PM.
Doug P is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2020, 05:25 PM   #23
smifwal

Do you have access to Ardex products? Their P4 would be a good choice for a primer and X5 would be sufficientvfor your thinset, or you could step up to the X78. I wouldn't recommend 254 platinum and only use it if it is spec'd. And then I will still try to talk them out of it.
Unread 01-22-2020, 05:39 PM   #24
Doug P

I've been reading stuff on the 254... some people seem to love it... others.... not so much. I do read alot where people comment about how well it bonds?

Why would you recomend stsying away from it?

And another wrinkle... i have a ten or so foot transition from tile to carpet snd just realized that the color i chose does not have any bullnose trim pieces. Can you transition from a regular straight cut tile to carpet easily?
Unread 01-22-2020, 06:00 PM   #25
smifwal

OH IT BONDS!!!! of that there is no question. I find it hard to spread because of the amount of polymer in makes it so sticky, but on the flip side of that you get rockstar coverage. Also I am pretty OCD about cleaning as you go when setting tile but with the 254 if you miss anything it is a PITA to get it off the next day. I use it to put down stratamat an that is about it. I get all the same qualities out of the Ardex products, I can buy a pallet of X5 and use that for just about everything I set and I get the X77 ( I recommended the X78 for you because it is floor only and is a touch cheaper than the X77) if I am doing something on a wall that I don't want it to sag, Like setting a tile on top of a fresh set mosaic glass strip in a shower for example, Or setting ungauged slate because of the different thicknesses and I want to keep them in plane the X77 or X78 doesn't slump. As for your carpet transition to tile you don't need anything special like metal or bullnose, you just put tack strip right up to the tile leaving a space about 3/16 in away, stretch it up,trim and tuck

post 103

https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin...ht=hack&page=7
Unread 01-22-2020, 06:17 PM   #26
D & D Reno

I started filing my shower with the LifeProof today and thought of this thread. The slip resistance of the tile makes it very abrasive. Clean as you go. It is a bear to get thinset of the tile. I’m using Schluter All Set, which is modified, and probably doesn’t help matters. I already told my wife have fun cleaning the shower. Lol. It will probably be great on a floor though once installed.
Unread 01-26-2020, 12:02 PM   #27
Doug P

Shopping....
Attached Images

Unread 01-26-2020, 12:09 PM   #28
smifwal

I am definitely a snapper kind of tile setter. But did they have one of those snappers on display? You might want to try it before you buy it. You will likely be disappointed in it's performance. But who knows it may work well enough to get you by.
Unread 01-26-2020, 01:53 PM   #29
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

That was my thoughts also. That snapper isn't going to do it for you. I don't know that HD has one worth buying for bigger porcelain tile.
Unread 01-26-2020, 03:36 PM   #30
Doug P

I'm hoping the tile cutter i got gets me buy... the 24" one gets pricey.

I'm not familiar with what you guys are referencing there...?

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase