Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-07-2020, 11:03 AM   #76
smred

Thanks Dan! Off to set the threshold now so I can get the glass ordered! End is in sight!!!!
Unread 01-07-2020, 03:13 PM   #77
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2020, 03:35 PM   #78
smred

So I need some solutions for a gap between the bottom row of tile and the floor on the tub apron. I have an 11/16th" space which is too small for a tile. I think my options are to either get some 6 x 6 tiles and cut them down to 6 x 3.5 or to use a 6 x 4.5 cove base and trim it down to 6 x 3.5. Would I want to use a cove base in front of the tub? When I look for images none of them seem to be around the tub - just around the perimeter of the room.

Any other creative solutions out there?

Thanks!

Sorry - pic is upside down. I've tried rotating it, but can't figure out how.
Attached Images

Unread 01-07-2020, 06:45 PM   #79
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

Susan,

In such instances we have bought 6x6's and cut them down OR turned the field tile 1/4 turn, OR dropped the entire field and have a smaller piece at the top where it isn't as noticeable.

Have you read the subway tutorial some really nice guy wrote?

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2020, 07:42 PM   #80
smred

Thanks Paul,

Wow- some serious subway tiling on that post! Kind of brings tears to my eyes to see that kind of talent. To tell you the truth, while I always had a great deal of respect for tradesfolk, after my stint of re-doing our bathroom I have even more appreciation for their dedication, skills and artistry.

I am going to get some 6x6 and cut it down so that I can avoid the thin row at the bottom. I've got a thicker course along the bath niche so it'll tie those together. I have used the quarter turn bullnose on the other edges and I'd like to keep the lines to match where it meets the top of the tub deck.

I'll post pics when done. Not perfect, but not bad for a first time tiler.

Thanks again for your help!
Unread 01-13-2020, 01:14 PM   #81
smred

Shower floor tiles finished!

Lots of conflicting advice about sealants/enhancers. I am planning on using StoneTech Enhancer Pro and Permacolor grout. I was going to grout first, but sounds like I should treat the tiles first (taking care not to let the sealant run down the sides of the pebbles to avoid interfering with grout adherence). Wait 24 hours before grouting, then wait another week before sealing the grout.

My question is - do I just use a regular sealant after grouting? Does it matter what kind?

One other question - I read in an article in the liberry that I should caulk first, then grout. Is that everywhere I'm using caulk or just between the shower floor and the first row of tiles?

Thanks!
Attached Images

Unread 01-13-2020, 02:07 PM   #82
cx
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanMary
One other question - I read in an article in the liberry that I should caulk first, then grout. Is that everywhere I'm using caulk or just between the shower floor and the first row of tiles?
Please tell us exactly where in the Liberry you found that information so it can be removed or corrected, SusanMary.

You want to grout first, let the grout cure, then apply your flexible sealant.

The flexible sealant properly goes at all tile joints where there is a change of plane in the backing material.

Nice job on the floor.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2020, 10:13 PM   #83
smred

Shower floor grouted!!! Used 511 Porous plus sealer and Mira Matte on the stones before grouting. Will seal again after grout has cured, but so far so good!

In the home stretch now. Final course of tile around the bottom of the shower, then the front of the tub apron. Then grouting it all. Oh, and then the dreaded caulking. I always seem to make a mess of that so I'm going to have to watch some more videos on technique.

Thanks all!
Attached Images

Unread 01-18-2020, 02:36 AM   #84
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

It's looking good. I would cover the floor good when grouting the walls.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2020, 09:19 PM   #85
smred

Definitely Davy!

Finished tiling today. Not perfect by a long shot, but having never tiled before I'm satisfied with how it came out. Maybe grout tomorrow, but it won't have been 24 hours. It's either that or wait til Wednesday. I'll clean up tomorrow and clean out any extra thinset as needed. Seems like grouting that much is going to take a really long time.... Can I do grouting in sections?
Attached Images

Unread 01-19-2020, 09:29 PM   #86
cx
Moderator emeritus

Sure you can. Try to stop and start at natural breaks like those inside corners. Be sure you mix your grout exactly the same with each batch.

And I'd still like to know where in our Liberry you saw the advice to caulk first before grouting, SusanMary.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Unread 01-19-2020, 09:36 PM   #87
smred

Hey CX,

Thanks. I have looked back at the Liberry and can't find any mention of caulking first. I was researching the site like crazy, so I'm guessing I must have read it in a post instead. My bad. Too many late nights!

Sorry for the concern.
Unread 01-19-2020, 11:35 PM   #88
cx
Moderator emeritus

Thank you, Ma'am. We do try to correct that sort of thing when we see it posted, but we do miss some things. I'm just glad it's not in our Liberry.

Unread 01-20-2020, 12:07 AM   #89
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

tileguytodd promoted that method several years ago. I’m guessing that’s where you read it, SusanMary.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2020, 11:02 AM   #90
smred

So I've read as much as I can find about grouting/caulking and am clear on the change of plane and the debate. Two questions: (1) how/when do you remove the grout from the seams you are going to caulk as I'm pretty sure some is going to get in there. (2) One expert has suggested leaving some grout in the seams you're going to caulk, but caulking over it. I'm using Laticrete Permacolor for the grout and Latisil caulk.

Thanks!

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase