Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 06-26-2019, 03:08 PM   #1
Elkski
Took the Schluter part 1 class my team won!

Glass subways coming clean off backsplash??

I'm not sure what happened?. I was taping up my glass subway tile so I can put on the grout and one just fell off in my hand. Then I pulled on the one above it and it came off. knocking around on the rest of the wall one sounded kind of hollow in one corner and I kept hitting on it and then pulled it and it came off. The rest sounds solid but why didn't the thinset stick. It came off so cleanly. I know that two on the top left row was the last row I did but I don't think I ever let my thinset get skin on it or to old. I used the Mapei Adesilex P10 glass & mosaic thinset. It look like I had 98% coverage. I back buttered them all. I see cracks I the thinset. These have been up for weeks. Can it be only these three? This can become a disaster . Do I try to pry them all off. I guess I won't be finishing grouting my back splash today.
Attached Images

Unread 06-26-2019, 04:45 PM   #2
Elkski

Wink

Well 3 turned into. All clean on the glass. But thinset on the wall was like a rock. I finally found that finding the paint seam was easiest. This area had a wide drywall mud seam at 48" . Wall had been primed and then I put 2 coats of Mapei ECO Prim grip. This wall is a drywall while I did add a stud every foot between the old 24 inch on center this wall has been here for 18 years. It just seems like no adhesion to the back of the tiles at all.
I think putting the mud bed in the shower sounds like a fun thing to do compared to this.
I really was vibrating the wall but the 2 other tiles only came off when I was prying too close to them. Should I try to pry up all the tiles on this whole wall?
Attached Images

Unread 06-26-2019, 05:12 PM   #3
Elkski

I just popped off 12 more. 1 on a different wall. It sounded hollow. . Oh my. But I'm thankful I'm alive.

I guess so should have found some laticrete xyz like instructions
on my receipt said to use.

Last edited by Elkski; 06-26-2019 at 06:13 PM.
Elkski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2019, 08:07 PM   #4
cx
Moderator emeritus

Oh, c'mon, Teddy, reading and following the instructions is for sissies!

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2019, 09:35 PM   #5
Elkski

That's some insight.
I didn't find any laticrete 254 platinum I think it was. I was told the P10 was good stuff. But no sticky.
Pretty major setback as I think I will have to remove them all and fix the wall. Maybe I need some isolation membrane?
Unread 06-26-2019, 11:40 PM   #6
Kman

254 is good.

Or some glass tile mortar might be appropriate.

It might be worth the time and effort to do a tile or two over a mockup with whatever mortar you choose before doing the whole thing again.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2019, 03:53 AM   #7
eurob
Not...Sure

Mixing adesilex P10 with Keraply , instead of water , would give you much better results.

There was something here but is no longer available
eurob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2019, 05:13 AM   #8
Elkski

Arizona Dunes series glass tile didn't stick to Adesilex P10!

With no adhesion would keraply help?
This wall isn't even a wet wall. It faces north cement. The temperature has only risen 10-15 degrees in this basement .

Could someone change the title of this thread please
Attached Images

Unread 06-27-2019, 05:44 AM   #9
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Do those glass tiles have a plastic coating on the back?

Mine do, and as a test I used Versabond to stick one to a piece of Hardiboard, even without pre-wetting the HB. That tile isn't coming off.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2019, 06:08 AM   #10
Elkski

They have some white coating on the back. It looks like it was sprayed on. It's very hard. The grout sure stuck to the back on my test board as I had one tile wrong side out. I'm not sure what thinset I used on my 2 ND test board. I will demo it today to see if it has adhesion.
Update:
Well test board was same result. I am not sure I bothered to back butter this test board but I know I did every time on the wall. Test board has Zero adhesion to back of tiles. This flexible Flexcolor 3D grout really held tiles on. Maybe I should just replace the loose ones and trust the grout to hold them in place?
Attached Images

Last edited by Elkski; 06-27-2019 at 06:54 AM.
Elkski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2019, 06:14 AM   #11
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Sounds similar to my glass tile, Teddy.

My test board was a piece of Hardi, maybe 6X14. Test tile was 3X12 or so. Did not dampen the Hardi first, and just used a 1/4" trowel for the Versabond.

Picked up a few days later and tried to twist the test board to see of the tile would just pop off. Nope.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2019, 07:07 AM   #12
MAPEI - Technical Service
Company Representative

Hey there Teddy, I'm sorry to see your glass didn't bond well with Adesilex P10.
Those coatings can be a real pain, but adding Keraply will really boost the stickiness of P10. If you mix with Keraply rather than water, you will have a much better result with coated glass tiles.

http://www.mapei.com/US-EN/
MAPEI Product Tech Support Hotline 1-800-992-6273
MAPEI - Technical Service is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2019, 07:23 AM   #13
Elkski

I picked up a bag of laticrete 254 . I will test it out. But first off I need to get these tiles off and wall prepped. Maybe 2 days of effort plus possibility of broken tiles.
Unread 06-28-2019, 08:17 AM   #14
Elkski

Amazingly no other tiles popped off or sound hollow. I have tried prying on a few with none popping off. I always back buttered each tile as i put it on the wall. There is possibility I mixed up the mud to dry for a batch. But I would not have used it if i thought it was to dry or when it starts to set up to much. I am thinking to paint 2 coats of EVO Prim primer on the wall.
Attached Images

Unread 06-30-2019, 04:26 PM   #15
Elkski

I mixed up that laticrete 254 platinum. It is a monster sticky. Don't use a old rough bucket. Man o man. I did the test board too and will demo it in 48 hours. It maybe the only glass mortar I ever use again if it works. It is pretty fast to set. And it slakes up more than anything I've ever mixed.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase