Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 05-27-2017, 08:15 AM   #1
Mr_Stop
Home Remodeler

Best "all around" tile cutter size

I'm looking to invest in a new quality tile snapper. Besides being overwhelmed about brand choice (currently thinking Sigma or Montolit), I'm unsure what size too get. I don't want to get too big so it is still portable. On the other hand, I want it to handle most of my more common jobs. Most of my jobs to date have been small to mid size tiles (up to 12"x24").

If you had to pick one size tile cutter to cover 80% of you your needs, which would it be?
Sponsored Links
Unread 05-27-2017, 08:20 AM   #2
South land Tile

I just bought a Rubi tx-n 700 and in the short time I've had it I've become quite attached to it. It's a beast of a snapper for tile up to 28".
Unread 05-27-2017, 10:10 AM   #3
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Oh, for the good old days. I remember when most guys had a Superior No. 2 and nothing else. It pretty much handled tiles up to 8X8s.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2017, 11:07 AM   #4
Karls tile Inc
Tile and stone contractor Tile setter

I have all Rubi cutters. I have the one of their biggest hand cutters the TX 1200. They cut great. I do like the Montolit and Sigma cutters as well. I just never purchased one.

Karlstile.com
Karls tile Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2017, 04:13 PM   #5
smifwal

I use the Sigma 3D3M MAX Professional (klick klock)it will do a 36 in rip. I bought the 3f3m (klick klock 60in rip) first, thinking that I would never not have enough cutter no matter what life threw at me. It weighs 70lbs and well it is big, so not good unless you are in a bigger room. So most common longer tile that I install is a 6x36. This one is better from room to room. But is still tight in a hall way. Super clean cut the klick klock was easy to get the hang of
Unread 05-28-2017, 12:27 AM   #6
bc brick john

a 2'+ cutter will get most jobs but there is always the job where you got a 36 "+
the few times you need that extra might be just as easy to push it through a table wet saw

i have the mosaic sigma snapper and the 30" pull snapper
love em both hard to justify $500 + on a 48" or larger one unless the one job was going to pay for it .....
brick mason & tile setting
www.stonetilegibsons.ca (under construction)
bc brick john is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2017, 08:17 AM   #7
Mr_Stop
Home Remodeler

Thanks for the advice. I agree that I don't want something to handle 48"+ tile. That will be too much tool (weight and size) for everyday use in the small bathrooms I have been doing. As mentioned, I could get by using the wet saw or even grinder if the job wouldn't pay for a new snapper.

It looks like the ~26-37" would be the way to go. The weight difference is fairly negligible. But there are some size considerations for the spaces I work in. Also, there is a considerable price jump. Are you doing enough 36" or 24" diagonals to justify the size and price?

I like the idea of getting a smaller snapper for subway and other small bath or backsplash tiles. The Superior #2 looks like the perfect size and decent price. How well does it work on porcelain, glass or thicker tiles?
Unread 05-28-2017, 11:05 AM   #8
PetrH

I have a Sigma T4A 32" snap cutter, used pretty much every day for the last five years. Can't really say I've ever regretted spending $450 on it. Once in a while I wish I had a smaller one to do splashes with, but really it cuts a 1" tile just as well as a 24" one.

The only draw back is that it's a pull cutter and once in a while if I'm snapping a lot of tough porcelain tiles in a day I end up with a sore elbow. Push cutters are a little more ergonomic in that respect.

Be aware that some cutters rated for 24" will not actually fit a 24" tile.
Unread 05-29-2017, 09:50 AM   #9
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

Most of what I do is 24 inch and smaller. So I recently bought the Monti 63p (or something like that) and it cuts 24's. I have a big Rubi cutter that cuts 36's but it's enormous and takes up too much space for everyday jobs (and in my van).

I keep the Montolit in my van everyday and it works great for 12x24 and 3x6's and everything else. I have the mosaic pad for it also.

A friend of mine got the same Monti but in a 28 inch. I can't think of hardly any projects where I would be cutting tile more than 24 but less than 28. So in my opinion, it's unnecessarily bigger than it needs to be.

If you're doing a lot of planks then maybe a 36-48 inch cutter is necessary. But for everyday bathrooms the 24 is the way to go I think.

Name:  2016-12-29 14.56.16.jpg
Views: 683
Size:  25.2 KB

Why you should NOT buy a newly remodeled home ~DIYTileGuy
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2017, 10:49 AM   #10
Good Morning Flooring
Journeyman

I would do a high quality cutter for 24" and smaller, and get a cheaper 36" or 48" one when you need it, unless you're doing a lot of bigger tiles. Montolit is great, I use sigma myself, mainly due to getting a lot better deal on it here. Haven't tried the sigma klick klock handle, but the sigma max handle seems to be the same as the stock montolit handle, which is nicer then the stock sigma handle.

Essentially, sigma or montolit. If you go sigma and use it daily, get one of the fancier handles, makes a huge difference.
Unread 05-29-2017, 07:58 PM   #11
Eschbach
Tile Contractor-Virginia

I bought a Rubi TX N 700 2 jobs ago and absolutely love this cutter.It snaps 24 inch rips without effort.I have a Rubi speed 62 for smaller splash tiles and what not.

Virginia Installer of Schluter Kerdi and Kerdi Board Waterproof Showers

Excellence is no accident
Eschbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2017, 09:35 PM   #12
caskey_b

"learning curve" for manual tile cutters....

please delete if this is a little off topic of the thread...

but I have been seriously considering getting a manual tile cutter and know that you get what you pay for in terms of quality...

something like the Rubi speed 62 seems like it'd be perfect for my needs...

that being said, what kind of learning curve is there to using these properly... basically, how many tiles am I going to screw up before I get the hang of it?
Unread 05-29-2017, 09:56 PM   #13
Good Morning Flooring
Journeyman

Quote:
please delete if this is a little off topic of the thread...

but I have been seriously considering getting a manual tile cutter and know that you get what you pay for in terms of quality...

something like the Rubi speed 62 seems like it'd be perfect for my needs...

that being said, what kind of learning curve is there to using these properly... basically, how many tiles am I going to screw up before I get the hang of it?
You should be able to use it just fine on ceramics right away, you might struggle with some harder porcelains though. I've come across 3 different porcelain tiles that my rubi and my sigma won't cut, and at least 2 dozen that are inconsistent. Get some cheapo ceramics to get a feel for it, then some cheapo porcelain, or just use leftovers. Cuts glass just fine too. Natural stone... sometimes. Depends on the stone, if there is a bad weak spot in it, etc.

Best advice I can give is:

Use the same pressure the entire length of the cut

If you are having trouble, play with the pressure. Glass and soft glazes require very little pressure most of the time, the really think glazes, ones with multiple glazes, can require lots of pressure, sometimes multiple passes

Speaking of passes, always try to do it in one pass, unless you find a particular tile needs multiple passes

Buy something to keep the bar greased to it moves smoothly. Some do wd40, some bike chain oil, lots of others will give different options, but a smooth movement makes a big difference.

Maybe it's just me, but I find they break easier if you break immediately after the score instead of a second or 2 later

Try a push cutter and a pull cutter to see which movement you like more. I prefer the push type myself, although I own mostly pull ones. I didn't realize until after I bought a bunch of pull ones that I preferred push ones, so yeah. Lots of money to invest in a good one, so figure that out first.

If it starts to not cut as well, replace the cutting wheel! My first employer would change it once a year, regardless of how much is was used, or when it needed it. Made things needlessly difficult sometimes.
Unread 05-30-2017, 07:30 AM   #14
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

I think if you're going to buy one cutter the Rubi speed isn't the way to go. The TX series is what I would buy. The reason being is that I don't know if the Speed will cut the big porcelain tiles. You need the reinforced rails of the TX.

I know there's a significant price difference between the two but there's a reason for it. Monti, Sigma, and the TX-N will cut through most tiles. I've found that the tiles that I have trouble with are usually the cheaper textured porcelain tiles from places like Lowes.

Obviously if you're not doing a lot of porcelain tile then disregard the above.

Why you should NOT buy a newly remodeled home ~DIYTileGuy
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2017, 06:58 PM   #15
caskey_b

right now my decision is between the Rubi Speed 62 (now $204 at contractors direct) or the Rubi TS-66 Plus ($125 more)

id like to be able to use whichever one I get for backsplash tiles (smaller profile 3x6, etc) and as well as some larger 12x24 ceramic/porcelain tiles

I'mnot as concerned about the large porcelain as much as the smaller profile tiles, but would be nice to buy one that will accommodate both and work for me.

I'm not opposed to spending $300 but over $500 I'm a little hesitant, due to not really needing it THAT much

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase