Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 10-26-2005, 04:12 PM   #1
H20Man

Schluter polystyrene shower curbs --> should I use one?

In John's book he doesn't mention the polystyrene shower curbs that schluter offers. Is there a disadvantage to using them that I should know about?
H20Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-2005, 04:24 PM   #2
Mike2

None that I know of "water man" How about a real first name to share?

I used it once just to see how it would work out. I'd sum it all up by saying very easy and quick to install & I was quite pleased with the results. The only down side if there is one is that for $44 plus shipping, you could build quite a few the old fashion way. Not as quick though so there most certainly is a labor saving factor to consider. This curb can be cut and set in well under 15 minutes max, start to finish.

Mike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 05:00 PM   #3
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi,

I guess I assumed that those who chose to use the foam tray would also use the curb. Guess I shouldn't assume so much.

Wait, which book? The foam products have been completely re-engineered since Tile Your World was written.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 06:42 PM   #4
wayne4027

While we're on the subject...

John,

I have read your Kerdi book - it's great. However, you don't really say much about the Schluter foam tray. I am planning to use it on my shower renovation because it will fit well into the existing opening. Have you, or do you ever use it? Are there distinct advantages to a mud bed vs. the tray? It looks great on the installation video, but I guess I'm a little nervous about using styrofoam on the floor instead of mortar. Can you set my mind at ease?

By the way, I apologize to H2OMan for jumping in your thread, but this seemed the logical place to ask this.

Wayne
wayne4027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 06:55 PM   #5
cx
Da Home Builder

If your shower is exactly the size of one of those styrofoam "trays," and if your drain is exactly in the center of the shower floor, the trays might make sense. If either of the above is not true, I'd recommend a mud pre-slope.

Actually, I'd recommend a mud pre-slope anyway, but you could use the tray to advantage only if the fit is correct.

But there is no down-side to the physical properties of that foam thingee. They are tough and solid when installed per directions. No problem at all that I could detect. I've only seen them used at Schluter's school, but can see how they would be very useful in big commercial jobs where three hundred showers were built to the exact specs for the tray. Takes about three minutes to install in that situation.

You wanna pay for one, you can use it with confidence.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 10:27 PM   #6
Mike2

I've not used the form tray so I can't add anything to what CX just said. Have just used the curb and if I can find a local source with stock on-hand will likely keep on using it.

And I'll tell you one more thing: When David Taylor told me you’d have to bust it out with a sledge hammer, after asking him how secure it would eventually set up, he wasn't kidding . That tray is in there to stay and even Rob Z. could dance on that sucker without making a dent.
Mike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 05:40 AM   #7
bunt

I've installed showers with the schluter kit which comes with all the stuff. I have never installed a mud bed before, but I felt comortable using the kit. It was very easy to use/install. However as mentioned a few threads above, there are instances where a mud bed would better suit the situation. A 4x4 shower with the kit can be installed and waterproofed in a few hours,.....not too bad!

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase