Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 06-27-2007, 03:08 PM   #1
H20Man

Drilling holes in pool deck concrete (core drill or hammer drill)?

Any of you ever used either a hammer drill or a core drill?

I'm putting a safety net cover on our pool this weekend.... www.katchakid.com

To do that I have to drill a 3/4" diameter, 2" deep hole every 30 inches around the perimeter of the pool.. so like 45 holes. The company recommends using a core drill to do it cause they say it makes cleaner holes and there's less damage potential to the pool decking. I checked with home depot and they don't have a 3/4" core drill bit (smallest size is 2" or so). I could buy a core drill bit ($175) and rent the core drill from home depot.... but the guy at home depot recommend just using a hammer drill w/ masonry bit, which they do have in that size. I need the holes to be pretty clean, though. The guy at katchakid told me that it works better if the holes are core drilled so the anchors stay put better... and that it's not as hard on the concrete either.

I've not used either and am not sure which I should go with..... seems something like a hammer drill might cause stress cracks or such in the concrete, plus the holes might be ugly?

Opinions?

Thanks,

Rick
H20Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-2007, 05:11 PM   #2
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

A coring bit will make a cleaner hole. I'm assuming this is in concrete. The thing with a coring bit is you have to break out the plug since you would not be going all of the way through.

Lowes sells some diamond coring bits - I'm pretty sure they have them in that size. It won't be anywhere near as heavy-duty as the coring bit your were looking at, but will cost a lot less. If you are careful with it and keep it wet, you should be able to do all of those holes, and even if you needed a second one because you wore out the diamonds, you'd still be ahead. All you'd need would be a decent variable speed 1/2" electric drill. Probably take you a minute or so per hole depending on how much and how hard the aggragate is in the cement. You may end up needing to drill deeper to flatten out the bottom of the hole. I'd have a piece of plywood that I'd cut a 3/4" hole in that was carefully done with a drill press so the hole would get started square. You may need something to clean up the bottom of the hole after you break out the plug, maybe a star drill bit (that's actually a chisel with the end that looks like a star) or even a flat chisel.

A sharp carbide bit in a hammer drill should be fairly quick, too, but again, depending on the aggragate, you could get some chipping if it catches on a stone. The diamond coring bit won't have that problem.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 08:51 PM   #3
H20Man

Great info, thanks! So what do you use to break the plug out after core drilling?
Old 06-27-2007, 09:50 PM   #4
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

The coring bit will basically make a small kerf or slot. Stick something like a screw driver in there and pry a little. Or, try a chisel on the core itself, hit it at an angle. Wear eye protection. Depends on how strong the concrete mix was and how old it is, plus how much aggragate is in it as to how hard it will be to break out that plug.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 06:39 AM   #5
H20Man

Are the plugs sometimes very hard/impossible to get out without heavy duty power tools? Sounds like it could be.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase