Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 02-16-2006, 09:04 PM   #1
GaryB

Dip in floor

First off - I'd like to thank all of the pros on this forum. Based on the many posts here, 99% of the questions I've had have been answered.

My name - Gary
The project - kitchen and bathroom floor
Current flooring - 2x10, 16OC, 13 ft span, 3/4 inch T&G subfloor (single layer)
House is 28 years old and the flooring is being replaced as part of a remodel

The plan is to add an additional layer of 3/8 plywood, then 1/4 Hardibacker, all installed as outlined in many postings.

The problem - there is a dip in the floor where a wall meets the floor (pic below). The dip is right where a new door will be installed to the new bathroom. The wall is the end of a load bearing beam for the 2nd floor. The vertical 2x4's (2) are resting between 2 floor joists, and have caused the dip, there is no support under the subfloor directly under the wall. The dip is about 1/4" and is where 2 sheets of subfloor meet.

I'm trying to figure out how to level the dip out. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Attached Images

GaryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 02-16-2006, 09:22 PM   #2
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

That's an ugly thing. If there is no support under that wall, then it is not designed to be a load-bearing wall. What you are seeing is the effect of an improperly built partition wall. I had one like that in my house - it literally bent the plywood into an L shape over 20-years (didn't help with the water bed above it, either!). You cannot have a load-bearing wall that sits between joists. That being said, this wall will always create problems, as it is trying to hold up something from above, and has no support except the subflooring. As loads shift from upstairs, the subfloor where it dips now will also flex. From some of the stuff I've read, a non-loadbearing wall really should not be built so it goes entirely between the floor and ceiling. That way, it won't distort the subfloor as the upper floor moves. I'm not sure of an easy way to fix that. Hope I'm wrong. My unprofessional opinion.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2006, 07:01 AM   #3
bbcamp

If this is merely a partition wall, take it out, pull up the subfloor, then add blocking between the joists, reinstall the subfloor, andd you rnew 3/8" plywood, then replace the wall. Lots of work, I know, but it will save your floor tiles from cracking as that subfloor continues to settle.

If the wall is actually supporting something, then the job will be more difficult, and may require a seasoned contractor to help.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2006, 04:18 PM   #4
GaryB

No such luck...

Its not really a partition wall. The end is where the header for part of the 2nd floor is (the header ends there, it does not span on across). The dip is not as bad as I first thought. The joist to the left is a little high which made things look worse than they are. I'm going to support the vertical 2x4's from below. They fall between 2 joists but the main steel beam that runs the length of the house is right below it, so I'm going to install a doubled up 2x10 between the beam and the floor, not sure why they didn't do that when the house was built... I'm then going to spend some quailty time with my belt sander to level off the high spot.

Thanks for the replies!

Gary.
GaryB is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase