Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 08-10-2022, 08:53 AM   #1
gambrose

Installing Mosaic Hex Tile —*Mix and match?

Hi there, new here I am restoring a 1914 Craftsman bungalow that was vacant for the past fifteen years. It needs everything! I'm not an architectural historian purist, but there are some things that are classic and rectified hex tile is one of them. I'm also an artist (with the bank account to match...) so affordability is important.

I found an affordable (compared to American Restoration and Heritage) source for white rectified tiles, which are arriving today. I would like to do some small colored patterns in them, so I'll buy a few solid colored sheets from either American Restoration or Heritage. Here's my dilemma that I'm looking for advice on:

—*Heritage Tiles are the same thickness as the tiles I've sourced. I think they would fit pretty seamlessly on to the mesh and I could lay them down in sheets. I just don't love their colors.

—*ART tiles are 2mm thicker but their colors are so much more amazing... Is there a way I can use these and still have a (relatively) flat floor? Beating just these tiles in a little further? I assume they are too hard to sand down in any DIY way.

Keep in mind that I am new to installing tiler but am a fairly capable DIY-er in other aspects of my house. Would I be flying too close to the sun if I tried to integrate these thicker tiles?

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Unread 08-10-2022, 08:57 AM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Grace.

What is the application for these tiles (wall, floor, backsplash, other)?

What is the intended substrate?

I think your proposed installation might be problematic.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2022, 09:05 AM   #3
gambrose

Hi there,

It's for the floor —*plywood subfloor + cement board, about 55 square feet.

I totally agree that something like American Restoration Tile is worth the price charged —*unfortunately that price is not something even remotely attainable in my universe! But I also refuse to use the Home Depot "hex" tiles — the rectified edge was important to me. So I split the difference with the source for the white tile (mosaictile.com if anyone is interested). I could definitely live with using the Heritage Tile sheets for the colored accents —*the samples I compared from Mosaic Tile and Heritage match perfectly in size — but just wanted to make sure there wasn't some trick I was missing that would make it so I could use a slightly outsized tile in there.

Thank you!
Unread 08-10-2022, 11:31 AM   #4
cx
Moderator emeritus

Grace, that "worth price charged" is my personal disclaimer. Nothing at all to do with the cost of your tiles.

If your floor qualifies for a ceramic tile installation, which we do not know, You could install something like Schluter's Ditra over your CBU and cut out the Ditra only in the spots where you plan your thicker tiles. The Ditra is an Uncoupling Membrane and is about 1/8th" thick. Might work out OK. Operative word there is might.

You do need to evaluate your floor structure, though. Both the joist structure and the plywood subflooring.

Last edited by cx; 08-10-2022 at 11:41 AM.
Unread 08-10-2022, 12:19 PM   #5
gambrose

Thanks! The Ditra is a good idea to think about —*I woudn't have come up with that on my own. I think you're right that it *might* work but of course it's one of those tricky things where you can't really tell until you're in the middle of it.

I don't have any reason to believe the floor isn't suitable for ceramic tile installation — 3/4" plywood subfloor on 16" on center floor joists, some of which have been sistered and a few wholesale replaced. There was ceramic tile + an original oak finish floor + two layers of linoleum that I ripped up.

Thanks!
Unread 08-10-2022, 02:30 PM   #6
cx
Moderator emeritus

You didn't indicate the size of your tiles. Ditra has a minimum requirement of 2"x2" tiles.

You can guess at your joist structure if you like, but having had a 1914 ceramic tile installation in no way ensures your joist structure meets the current industry minimum requirement of L/360 deflection.

Your subflooring meets the minimum requirement so long as it is properly installed and has T&G edges.

Unread 08-10-2022, 02:34 PM   #7
gambrose

Thanks. The tiles are 1" hex tiles. It did not have a 1914 ceramic tile installation —*it was probably an early 90s remodel. I appreciate the feedback.
Unread 08-10-2022, 02:52 PM   #8
cx
Moderator emeritus

Nix the idea of using Ditra, then, I'm afraid.

My point about the 1914 tile installation was only that you can't necessarily take the fact that your old floor structure once had a ceramic tile installation as evidence that the joist structure now meets the current requirements.

But it's entirely up to you what you wanna tile over. It's all just risk management.

Unread 08-11-2022, 06:47 AM   #9
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
In addition to the difference in thickness, Grace, you're assuming that the advertised "1X1" size from both brands equals 1X1 in actuality. That may not be the case; many times the advertised length and width is different than the actual measurements. Best to check.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2022, 10:02 AM   #10
gambrose

Hi there —*yes, thank you! I had physical samples on hand from all the brands involved. They do match.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase