Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 02-06-2022, 03:58 PM   #16
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Still at it, just so many things that compete for time.

All electrical is finished, I really like those small, square, recessed LED's. Rough in plumbing and foam board installed, seams sealed. Drywall up and painted, crown as well. This has been Fun with Ditra weekend.
Attached Images

ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2022, 05:25 PM   #17
Snets
Professional Weekend Warrior

Looks good, Dan! I just installed a similar light fixture and fan timer. I see you have power at your toilet. You got one of THESE waiting to go in?

I worked on a house last year that had 5 of these installed.
Snets is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2022, 11:58 PM   #18
PhilWA

Looks like very clean work like your previous bathroom; looking forward to seeing the tiles installed!

Is that a new hinged door cover for the electric valve?

Is that 3rd switch a countdown timer for the exhaust fan?
Unread 02-07-2022, 08:08 AM   #19
ss3964spd

I shopped hard for that light fixture, Snets, the brightest LED bar I could find. When the walls were just primer it seemed like it would be plenty bright. After the much darker finish coats - not so much. The recessed lights do the trick though.

And, ha. No, nothing as extravagant as that thing. Just reusing a plain old Toto Aquia dual flush from the old master bath, with a Toto K300 on top - same model as in the master. Has all the features I want, and none that I don't.

Yeah, Phil, it is the access panel for the electronic shower valve, will be covered by a picture. Likely the same picture, actually, as shown in post #1 of this thread. And yes, the 10/20/30/60 minute timer for the fan, also the same as in the master. It's a Leviton.
Unread 02-25-2022, 04:38 PM   #20
ss3964spd

So, the 2X2 marble hex pictured below was the plan. Until it wasn't.

12"X12" ish on mesh. 5 sheets per box. I had to go through a lot of boxes, all of them really, to find enough with the right coloring (the folks at F&D were admonishing another customer for doing the same, fortunately I had nearly finished). It looked ok in the store, but once I got them home, laid them out, and really looked at them it became clear many-per-sheet were poorly cut, and even more poorly placed on the mesh. I would have had to remove so many and hand set them, just no consistency. Back they went.

Ended up with boxes of a nice looking 4"X8" marble, semi-translucent. Much better quality as far as sizing goes, but I have no idea what the quality is as far as marble goes. I suspect not high.

With them being relatively small is there any real concern about mortar making these twist/turn/cup? My intention was to use white Versabond to stick 'em down, should I give serious consideration to something better?
Attached Images

Unread 02-26-2022, 11:54 AM   #21
PhilWA

I've used only a couple bags of versabond, and compared it to a couple bags of various others: allset, 317, mapei LHT. When I only used 8-10 bags total in my project, the extra ~$10-15 per bag products seemed worthwhile (to me) just for the extra sticky-ness and finer grit/smoothness.
Unread 02-26-2022, 02:17 PM   #22
Snets

Dan, the tiles I ended up using on my current shower project floor are porcelain and way more consistent with what you are describing with those hex sheets, probably because they are man-made. They are WS Tile brand, got them on Wayfair and the came in just a few days.
Unread 02-27-2022, 08:03 AM   #23
ss3964spd

Thanks, Phil. Having not received any doomsday cautions I troweled forward with the Versabond since I had a recently purchased, unopened bag. Seems to be doing fine.

After visiting multiple tile stores, Snets, I just couldn't find a small format ceramic that said "that's it". I'd have been pleased to find the one you're using.
That marble hex was just a mess and, at $17/Sq, I anticipated better. I would have worked through the one that were poorly cut, there weren't that many of those, but I'd guestimate at least a 3rd per sheet were mis-placed on the mesh.
Unread 03-08-2022, 10:35 AM   #24
ss3964spd

I am really, really slow when it comes to setting tile. Three days. It took me three solid days to set about 42 S/F of this 4X8 marble.

But that also included going through all the boxes, sorting out damaged/badly cut ones, selecting the nicest ones, saving some not-as nice for under the vanity and for the baseboard, removing the bar code stickers (each had one), scrubbing them clean, laying them out, repositioning some, getting the left/right, fore/aft spacing right, taking them all back up while trying to keep them in order.

Turned out pretty nice. Some of them were thicker than most so there's a 1/32nd ish of lippage here and there. White Versabond, 1/4" square notched trowel. Got a bit faster with each section.

Still, don't know you pros do it with accuracy and speed. I just don't gots it.
Attached Images

Unread 03-08-2022, 03:23 PM   #25
diydanny

That looks great Dan. What a transformation so far.
Unread 03-08-2022, 03:38 PM   #26
cx
Moderator emeritus

Well, Dan, as we usta say to one another back in my air traffic control days when someone was clearly "down the tubes," "If you feel like you're getting behind, try to work a little faster." Was always helpful.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2022, 08:44 PM   #27
Snets

Well, Dan, since you are paying yourself exactly $0.00/hour, it matters not how fast you go...unless Mrs. Dan has issue with the speed at which this project is completed

Looking good! Pro finish at a non-pro price and speed. That's the compromise that I am willing to accept. In fact, I would say that is a big reason we are all here to learn. No pro contributer here worried about loosing work to DIYers.
Unread 03-09-2022, 02:46 PM   #28
ss3964spd

Thanks Dan, thanks John. Yeah, a compromise I am also willing to accept. Evidently I have the same challenges with finishing drywall. The end result is worth the walk, but man, it is a very long walk.

Was as helpful then as it is now, CX.
Unread 03-09-2022, 11:19 PM   #29
Snets

Quote:
Originally Posted by CX
Well, Dan, as we usta say to one another back in my air traffic control days when someone was clearly "down the tubes," "If you feel like you're getting behind, try to work a little faster." Was always helpful.
Good advice as I am starting a new project tomorrow for a friend. A tub surround, 3X6 subway, Kerdi Board. New drywall on two walls, free standing vanity/sink and LVP flooring. This was a job he was quoted $26K and $18K. We will be under $10K with some nice fixtures and accessories. I will post some pics soon.
Unread 03-13-2022, 01:26 PM   #30
ss3964spd

Grouting Marble

So, tried to take the easy way out by using a single component grout. Very easy to apply right out of the bucket. No scratching, no picture framing, doesn't appear to stain. But, even after closely following the cleaning process then waiting an hour and scrubbing it again, I just can't get the film off completely. If I rub the tile vigorously with a lot of pressure my finger tip still comes away with a plasticly sheen on it. The marble appears cloudy.

Am going to try a cement based grout, I'm thinking Ultracolor Plus FA. Question is, should I use a sealer on the marble first, to prevent possible staining, or might a grout release be better suited? The marble doesn't seem very porous, leaving a small puddle of water on it for 30 minutes leaves almost no trace.

Recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase