Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-08-2002, 04:14 PM   #1
Hansa

Unhappy

Hi,
Happy new year all!
I tiled my porch (9 * 12) in the fall and now I see a dip in the floor in the center that holds water so help! The freeze and thaw will surely crack the tile. Is there indeed anything I can do at this point (besides shoot myself)?
I intend to screen the porch for the next 2 yrs and then install windows later. Will the tiles survive 2 years of freeze n thaw? Also, is there any other reason to be concerned about the dip? It is an elevated post and beam floor.

Hansa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 01-08-2002, 04:54 PM   #2
Bud Cline
Tile Contractor -- Central Nebraska

Don't load the gun just yet.

Here's a band-aide suggestion. Dry out the entire area completely. Seal the grout. Keep sealing it until the grout won't take any more sealer.

Assuming you are now under roof now I wouldn't worry about it too much.

I don't think freeze/thaw will be a major problem if moisture can't get into the grout or under the tile.

Later you could remove enough tile so that the low spot could be filled and then retile that area.

I would however make a special effort to remove the water at every opportunity.

Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2002, 05:01 PM   #3
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
A voice from the past

Hi Hansa, Where ya been? And who finally built the porch?

Bud's advice sounds good to me. Why don't you fill us in a little more on how you finally installed the tiles.

Sonnie is still around, too.

John
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2002, 05:40 PM   #4
Hansa

Smile

Hey Bud
Thanks much. It was a great relief to hear that. I was picturing myself tearing out the entire job, or (ever tried this?) getting under the floor with a jack to raise that spot?
John, pleased as punch that you remember'd! Just got back from a month long sojourn in India - I love that country! and ready to get busy again.
After the 1st contractor left, I HAD to find someone else coz the roof was leaking. (This problem was present while the 1st guy was around, but in a smaller way, but he assured me a little 'sweating around the walls' was nothing to worry about! I was idiotic enough to buy this!
Anyway, the 2nd guy knew his stuff but was too busy to finish what remained, and he stopped returning calls after a weeks work.
I had far too many contractor woes to want any other contractor touch my porch so I finished the rest work myself (mostly cosmetic at this point). I will make the screens and doors over the next couple months so they are ready for the spring. (carpenters, ya hear me?) I found someone to do the mud job, and then laid the tiles. The porch looks beautiful. Will send some pictures when the days are less grey here.
Some things did not go my way. I intended to hang a 4' swing from the collar ties, but having used smaller ties, and then by hanging the fan off-center, the original contractor kinda messed me up. Also, I have so little faith in his work that I expect the roof to collapse someday. (I look when I drive by, for some signs of caving in! )
In the meantime, I was reading the Sandra henning posts and boy! she inspired me. (hope you are reading, Sandra). Glad to hear contractors can be rotten, I was beginning to think it was me. Dont anyone take this personally, I dont mean YOU! But her perseverence put me to shame! (I read all 8 pages!)
Will be back with more!
Hansa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2002, 09:24 PM   #5
Bud Cline
Tile Contractor -- Central Nebraska

John and I met Sandra and spent a day with her at a tile seminar in Dallas back in November. She is an impressive gal and has certainly had her share of contracter problems.

Sandra is very new to all of this but at the same time obviously very capable and determined. She'll do great as does everyone that puts their mind to it.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase