Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 08-14-2022, 10:21 PM   #1
Snets
Professional Weekend Warrior

Help With Shower Layout

I'm starting the design of a shower and remodel for some friends. She is mostly confined to a wheelchair, and has a hard time bathing in their current shower which is 48" X 34", fiberglass pan, double sliding glass doors.

After looking at the job, I believe we can expand the shower into an existing hall closet in one direction, and into an empty wall space another 12" in the other direction, giving them a 60" X 60" shower; aside from one corner that needs a chase for a furnace and water heater vent (my HVAC guy can make that chase much smaller with the appropriate piping)

It appears that plumbing can be added to any wall. This is what they are requesting in this curbless, roll-in shower:

1) A standard showerhead.
2) A hand shower with slider bar at a low level for her.
3) A rain shower from the ceiling.
4) A folding shower bench to maximize room (I will talk much more about how I'm going to waterproof that installation later!)

I plan to use Ditra for the bathroom floor and Kerdi band to connect the shower floor to the bathroom floor - The idea being that regular splashing water will mostly stay in the sloped shower pan and whatever doesn't, won't cause any damage. At this point, I am not planning any door for the opening of the shower; there is just no room.

So what I am asking is, how would you configure the plumbing? Where would each of the four listed items be located? Where would the mixing valve go? Diverter valves? The bench?

I appreciate your experience in seeing what works and maybe what doesn't.

Feel free to download my crude drawing, marking it up and reposting it!
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Layout.pdf (267.2 KB, 29 views)

Last edited by Snets; 08-14-2022 at 10:41 PM.
Snets is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 08-15-2022, 07:54 AM   #2
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
John, my first question is if she will need the wheel chair to go into the shower, and then will transfer from the wheel chair to the bench. If she is unable to stand while showering it seems like the center mounted rain head might be unnecessary.

I wonder if an electronic shower valve system might be employed here, allowing the controller to be mounted anywhere. Could even place one outside the shower (as well as within). Or, perhaps one the Grohe shower valves; which would eliminate the diverters. https://www.grohe.us/bathroom/grohtherm-smartcontrol
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2022, 03:36 PM   #3
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I guess this is over a wood subfloor and not a concrete slab.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2022, 09:51 PM   #4
Snets

Dan, the "Rain" shower head I think is just something they want to incorporate as a feature. She will mostly be utilizing the low-mounted, hand shower on an adjustable rod near the bench. At this time, she can use a walker to get to the bench - who knows what the future holds. I've been looking at shower systems such as that. where all of the controls are in one spot (on/off/diverters, etc.)

Davy, yes, 3/4 plywood over 2x10's 16" OC, L/416
Unread 08-16-2022, 07:34 AM   #5
ss3964spd

It seems to me that having to go at least partially into the shower to turn on the water so it can warm up, then exiting (or repositioning herself) without getting wet, would present an additional challenge. Of course placement of the valve could mitigate the getting wet part, but she'd still need to go in, turn it on, then wait for warm water. Then, if the valve isn't within easy reach of her while seated on the bench, temp or output adjustments are more difficult.

Hence my suggestion of an electronic shower valve. A controller can be placed outside the shower at whatever height is convenient. The water can be turned on, output selected, temp adjusted (or just stick with the pre-sets) without going into the shower area at all. A second controller can be mounted in the shower within arm's reach of the bench. The biggest downside of these systems is the requirement to have an access panel in the event the electronic valve body needs to be serviced. But the valve body can be installed almost anywhere on an inside wall. A smaller downside is they cannot adjust water volume.

Probably obvious; given the lack of a door the bench should be positioned well away from the entrance. Because cold.
Unread 08-17-2022, 08:36 AM   #6
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

You could put the controls on the half wall when you come in. But unless the bench is on that right side then they will be difficult to reach once one is in the shower.
Unread 08-18-2022, 08:35 PM   #7
Snets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss3964spd
I wonder if an electronic shower valve system might be employed here, allowing the controller to be mounted anywhere. Could even place one outside the shower (as well as within). Or, perhaps one the Grohe shower valves; which would eliminate the diverters. https://www.grohe.us/bathroom/grohtherm-smartcontrol
I think they would be very interested in a system such as this. This particular line is out of reach for us, not by price but location. In CA, code says no more than 1.8 Gal/min in any one shower/bathtub - period. That means one device at a time at 1.8 gal/min. I'm not worried about an inspection, they won't ship it here!

Anyone want to be my out-of-state middle man?

Thanks for the replies, guys.
Unread 08-18-2022, 09:04 PM   #8
cx
Moderator emeritus

Be happy to, Snets.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2022, 10:34 PM   #9
Snets

Thanks, CX. I'll let you know.

I don't have issue with the code for this job, they are on a well and septic so no public water being used.

Nice to get some generous help from a Texan as we ain't all nuts here in California. A lot, but not all.
Unread 08-19-2022, 06:43 AM   #10
ss3964spd

Happy to help also, John.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase