Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 07-28-2022, 04:14 PM   #16
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

FWIW, grouting can help hide some of the lippage issues.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2022, 06:42 PM   #17
John_M

Thank you all

Hey everyone,

Believe it or not, I finally grouted my backsplash. My wife agreed to accepting the scratches as they really could only be seen in very certain angles.

The grout really makes the backsplash look incredible. The lippage is hardly noticeable now.

Thanks for the advice for mixing smaller batches. I went with 2 pounds first, and got a good feel for the task. I did two more batches to complete it. And I have two pounds left.

Final questions - there are a couple of places that I need to redo. The areas are small (1/4” max). I have the matching caulk for the joint where the backsplash meets the counter, and the corner. Can I use that to fill in those touch up areas? This is the Mapei I sanded grout. Or so I mix up a pound of my left over grout? Final question - how large of an area should I clear out if I need to rework the area with grout? 1”? Or more?
Attached Images

Unread 08-16-2022, 06:53 AM   #18
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
No harm in trying the caulk, John, but even color matched caulk may not match the color and texture of the grout exactly. Least in my limited experience.

If you do opt to use grout; you need about 2/3rd's the depth of the joint to be clear so that the new grout has something to adhere to; the thin sides of the tile. As long as you have enough depth in the joint for the grout to adhere, length and width are not a factor.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase