Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 09-23-2021, 05:02 PM   #16
cx
Moderator emeritus

I can't tell by your photos, but will you even have vertical room for two sweeps and a drain fitting with proper fall, even if you ream out the top of that trap as Jim suggests?

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2021, 05:15 PM   #17
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Remember, your extension still needs slope to it, and any angles will increase the total elevation change...your only real choice is probably go down, remove the trap, extend the run to where you want and install a new trap and riser to the drain. Even then, the run beneath might be too high, or you may need to raise the level of the shower floor (which usually is not a good idea!). Another tidbit...the trap arm (the distance from the trap outlet to where it is vented) on a 2" pipe cannot exceed 5' in most plumbing codes...that could be an issue, too.

You really need to know what's under there.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2021, 10:06 AM   #18
BowtechDan

Appreciate the responses. I'll verify the amount of slope on the pipe before I make a decision. Thank you.
Unread 08-15-2022, 11:50 AM   #19
BowtechDan

Well, it's been awhile, but I have to remove the p-trap. I finally rented a jackhammer from HD and dug out a trench to center the drain and got to the p-trap and had to stop. Any guess's how the p-trap is routed to the vent pipe? The outlet from the p-trap is pointed directly at the vent in the 1st pic, but the 2nd pic shows there are water lines in front of the vent pipe. I didn't want to just start blasting away around the water pipes and tearing something up. Is it a good chance that the water lines go straight down into the ground? I'm thinking to tear up the concrete some more on the opposite side of the wall. Thanks again.
Attached Images

Last edited by BowtechDan; 08-15-2022 at 03:02 PM.
BowtechDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2022, 05:57 AM   #20
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
I think the water supply lines are probably encased within the concrete slab, Dan, not in the earth below it. Either way you'll need to be careful with that jack hammer.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2022, 11:34 AM   #21
BowtechDan

Thanks, I just don't understand how that vent is connected to the drain pipe with those water lines that close.
Unread 08-16-2022, 04:15 PM   #22
cx
Moderator emeritus

Only one way to find out, Dan. Unfortunately.

Unread 08-17-2022, 06:00 PM   #23
BowtechDan

Well, it looks like I have a chance to save some headache. Just have to drill some holes, and hammer and chisel with some finesse. I have enough pipe showing for a union as-is (on the right). I may try to remove the outer portion of the 90 degree to give some extra length.
Attached Images

Unread 08-17-2022, 07:45 PM   #24
cx
Moderator emeritus

This is a good thing. I'm not sure I'd try to remove the glued portion of the elbow from the pipe, though. breaking the pipe would likely ruin your whole day.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Unread 08-17-2022, 08:48 PM   #25
BowtechDan

You're probably right CX. After the last year I've had, I don't need anymore let-downs.
Unread 08-19-2022, 09:44 AM   #26
BowtechDan

Had success today chipping away the concrete and now have a clean piece of pipe to splice to. Now the next question (and I looked at the liberry) is, what is the appropriate height above the slab to install the lower portion of the oatey shower drain? I'm doing a mud-pack pre-slope and liner. Is 1/2" okay?
Unread 08-19-2022, 11:08 AM   #27
cx
Moderator emeritus

A half-inch may be OK, Dan, but 3/4-inch to the top surface of the bottom flange is good.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Unread 08-19-2022, 01:10 PM   #28
BowtechDan

3/4's it is. Thank you Sir.
Unread 08-23-2022, 12:01 PM   #29
BowtechDan

BLUF: is 1/8" tilt of a shower drain hard to tile?

I installed the Oatey shower drain and made a mistake. The left and right is level, but fore and aft is off. The front edge of the drain facing the shower head is about 1/8" low. The drain is centered in the middle of a 39" x 6 ' shower, so most of the water will be to the "lower" side of the drain. Will I have much of a problem with tiling this? We will be using a hexagon tile pattern for the floor and the hexagons are about 1.5" dia. The top piece of the drain will be a square cover.
Attached Images

Unread 08-24-2022, 09:10 PM   #30
BowtechDan

Thanks.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase