Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 08-13-2022, 09:10 PM   #1
calitundra.jc

Shower wall isolation and build out

So I have a two part question.

I am tileing a shower where one of the walls shares the garage wall on the other side. Unfortunately my truck just barely fits and I have to pull in so that there is only about 2 inches between my bumper and wall in order for the garage door to close. I was wondering if I could apply something like an isolation membrane to that wall, like Kerdi, to help decrease the chance of cracking if I bump the wall. I was planning on applying red guard to the the wall anyways, so not sure if that would help or be enough.
Second the above mentioned wall is going to have faux rock on it. Because there is existing drywall, I covered it with 1/4 inch hardibacker to affix the stone. Because I removed the existing shower wall, even if I place 1/2 inch backerboard, it will be 1/4 inch thinner than the drywall with backerbord. Therefore I would like to build out the wall by placing 3/4 plywood down followed by vapor barrier and the then 1/2 inch backerboard to help bring the tile out so that it is not inset so far (more for visualization but also thought the plywood may strengthen the wall also which may prevent cracking)

Last edited by calitundra.jc; 08-13-2022 at 09:38 PM.
calitundra.jc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 08-14-2022, 07:11 AM   #2
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I wouldn't want any type of wood on my shower wall. By adding the wood, you're trying to prevent cracking but if it decides to swell, you will cause cracking.

Have you ever seen someone hang a tennis ball on a string from their garage ceiling? They place it so the ball touches the windshield when they pull in. That way they know exactly where to stop. Cx has the same set up, the ball touches his long horns that's on the hood of his truck. Works real well.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2022, 07:49 AM   #3
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
X2 for the tennis ball. One is employed in my garage for the spouse. Not to prevent bumping the wall, but to prevent bumping a motorcycle. Works perfectly.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2022, 08:10 AM   #4
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, John.

Seems we're avoiding the actual question, which I understand to be based upon "if I bump the wall." While the tennis ball will work fine the aid in not bumping the wall, should you overshoot the ball, your question still remains.

You say you want an "isolation" membrane, which I interpret to mean a Crack Isolation membrane. Kerdi, to the best of my knowledge, is not a Crack Isolation Membrane (ANSI A118.12), but only a Waterproofing Membrane (A118.10). Be that as it may, even an actual crack isolation membrane would not really offer any protection in your theoretical circumstance. You'd likely be causing some vertical movement in the tile surface and none of the manufacturers of crack isolation products gives any warranty against that sort of movement.

Best protection in your case would be not to hit the wall, which is what my colleagues are recommending.

And speaking of tennis balls and cow horns, Toyota would offer no warranty at all on my new Tacoma if I were to install the Long Horns on their ridiculously high hood. Even though the truck was made right here in Texas! And that was just one of the options they would not provide.

A really poor excuse for a small-sized 4WD truck, by the way.

What was the question?

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2022, 02:28 PM   #5
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

So you're saying you've checked Toyota's option list looking for cow horns? I didn't see it either.

If you fear passing up the tennis ball then you may have to hang up a second ball in front of the other one. Or replace the tennis ball with a bowling ball.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2022, 03:34 PM   #6
cx
Moderator emeritus

Hell, Davy, I couldn't even get a locking rear differential because I didn't want their four-door cab or automatic transmission! Really difficult folks to deal with. Really expensive folks, too.

I like the bowling ball eye-dee. Would definitely promote caution and help save that wall.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase