Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 03-14-2022, 07:54 AM   #31
Jason@mapei
Jason Cantin Mapei Technical rep

grouting moisture sensitive stone

here is an option

https://cdnmedia.mapei.com/docs/libr...sn=dd2bc862_18
Unread 03-14-2022, 01:52 PM   #32
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Thanks, Jason, but 6 sided sealing isn't an option - tile is already installed. Fortunately my test area is under the vanity.

Given how little moisture this marble absorbs on the face I'm surprised the CQ is leaving them cloudy.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2022, 06:04 PM   #33
Jason@mapei

I would suggest grout release.
Unread 03-15-2022, 08:55 AM   #34
ss3964spd

Thanks again, Jason, I feel like I'm going to have to try both. From what I've read, grout release is easily water soluble, I'm a little concerned that the moisture in the grout will remove the release as the grout is being applied.

Can you recommend which Mapei products to look for? I don't think I want an enhancing sealer.
Unread 03-15-2022, 02:50 PM   #35
Jason@mapei

Please follow all instructions on the product and our TDS.

Grout release:

https://cdnmedia.mapei.com/docs/libr...rsn=a0afcc57_0

For sealing:

https://cdnmedia.mapei.com/docs/libr...rsn=e155c020_0
Unread 04-21-2022, 09:25 AM   #36
ss3964spd

Still plugging along. Ended up sealing the marble with Aqua Mix Sealer's Choice Gold which did not change the color at all, then grouted the floor with Ultracolor Plus FA. Pretty easy stuff to work with but sets fast and pot life is short. My work pace is snail slow so had to mix multiple small batches.

Didn't intend to install the vanity until after tiling was finished but, because of the vanity top has so little over-hang on the ends, I couldn't pull it away from the side and back wall to get the baseboard tile behind it so the tile will have to abut the vanity skirt. Not ideal, but oh well. Used the same 4X8 inch marble for the baseboard, capped with a mostly white marble half-round pencil, only one of which I broke. Will use the same pencil vertically to finish the ends of the wall tile.

I am hoping to re-use a now 15 year old Toto Aquia 1 dual flush toilet that came out of the master bath during demo. The bowl has a rear exit horn, and uses a special trap way that mounts on the floor, seals to the closet flange with a typical wax ring, then the horn of the bowl fits into the top and is sealed with a rubber gasket. Thought it would be smaht to replace that rubber gasket but no, apparently it, and indeed the entire assembly, are now unobtainable. Fingers crossed.
Attached Images

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase