Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 10-02-2015, 10:48 PM   #46
rus3736

So I'm about to install 1/2" Hardibacker board.
1) Did I read on this forum that cement board needs to be installed on the bottom (the bottom that touches the mud bed that the floor tiles will go on)? It is a different material than Hardibacker, correct?

2) Is a 1/4" space between the bottom of the cement board and the mud bed sufficient?

3) What is going to fill this space from #2? Is that where the floor tile will go?

4) Is it correct that I want 1 1/4" of packed deck mud around the drain?

5) I have 40 lbs of play sand to mix with a 50 lb bag of Quikrete Sand/Topping Mix. Can I combine those for my mud bed or should i hold a little sand out? I've saw on this site where the Sand/Topping Mix is approximately 1:3 ratio of cement:sand so the 90 lb mixture is approximately 1:6.2 of cement to sand.

6) Finally, I want a soap holder, shampoo holder, and a towel holder to mount in the shower. Does anyone have sites on the internet they would recommend that I order these from? Because I notice that Lowe's doesn't have a big selection to choose from.

Thanks for yall's help
Unread 10-08-2015, 08:37 PM   #47
rus3736

opinion on this curb

I cut a slit in the liner to fold it so that I could form one side of the curb from a straight wall (couldn't use a dam corner). Should I worry about this since it is on top of the curb?
Attached Images

Unread 10-08-2015, 09:28 PM   #48
Kman

I can't tell from your picture where the cut is, but it appears it may be on the inside top of the curb. That's a big no-no. Why were you not able to use the dam corners?

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2015, 10:39 PM   #49
rus3736

I used one on the other side but since this side is straight I didn't think I was supposed to use one on it. Or didn't know how to since there is no corner to wrap around.
Unread 10-10-2015, 01:36 AM   #50
Kman

You'll need them on both ends, on the inside edge of the curb.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2015, 03:15 AM   #51
cx
Moderator emeritus

Doesn't hurt to have'em on the outside edge, too, Richard.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2015, 11:23 AM   #52
Just In Tile LLC

Hey Richard, a couple things I see in your photo might make it more frustrating for you as your working on the dam corners.

1) The wire is on as your trying to work on the corner. I usually put wire on dam after liner is installed. Once cut that wire is also razor sharp which could cut into liner as your moving it.

2) Your drywall seems to be not cut to the outside of the dam, getting in the way as you try and fold liner over. Can't tell from pic.

I've attached where cuts are made and that's where you end up using the oatey corners. 18.99 for 30 of high life anyone

Also when putting wire on dam, 1) put wire on dam and crease wire where it goes over on inside and outside. 2) take wire off and over do the folds so it hugs the dam because you OVER creased it. 3)Secure with staples on outside of dam only.
Unread 10-10-2015, 11:36 AM   #53
Just In Tile LLC

"Pitchers"
Attached Images

Unread 10-10-2015, 11:37 AM   #54
Just In Tile LLC

Attached Images

Unread 10-10-2015, 11:39 AM   #55
Just In Tile LLC

Attached Images

Unread 10-10-2015, 08:19 PM   #56
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

When I fold the liner at the curb, I hold the liner up as if the curb is just another wall. Make the fold and nail it at the top. Then I cut it straight up from the top of the curb and let it fold over the curb to the floor.

Justin, Y'all are paying too much for pumpkins.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2015, 01:07 PM   #57
rus3736

So I'm trying to follow yall's pictures here. It looks like you go against the golden rule of cutting the liner below the curb to put the dam corners in. Please tell me I didn't f this up. If I did, at least I died trying and I'll go get another liner and try again. I'll put my pics up of what I have done. I have one picture up of the other side of the curb which was pretty common sense when putting the dam corners on.
Attached Images

Unread 11-21-2015, 04:04 PM   #58
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Your top pick that shows the right jamb looks pretty good. The other jamb no so good. It's hard for me to tell but you never cut the liner below the top of the curb.

Looks like you have a seam about curb height in the second pick. I would find a liner long enough to make it all in one piece if possible.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2016, 01:06 PM   #59
kathmorgan12

I see the studs are not notched out to acommodate the liner and it's folds. I sure wouldn't want my walls to swoop out at the bottom going over the liner. An alternative is to shim out the studs to overcome the folds.
Unread 02-19-2016, 10:32 PM   #60
Just In Tile LLC

I was checking my posts and saw I let this one slip through the cracks on my replies, figure I'd comment if you're still working on this. I apologize for the unclear pictures, there is NO cut below the dam, that is shadowing of my paper. I ripped my paper to show the brick on my house so you saw where the cut was made, straight up from dam. I usually lay my liner over the dam as shown by my paper and push liner down tight to the floor on inside of shower. I then make my cut so it falls where the tear in my paper is. When the cut is made you still have excess liner over the dam and in some cases past it a little ways. You leave the excess liner over the dam to bond your corner piece to. Sorry about late reply and hope that makes more sense.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase