Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 11-12-2011, 09:19 AM   #1
nickromano
Remodeler

Proposed new design values for Southern Pine

Currently Southern Pine Inspection Bureau (SPIB) has new design values they have proposed for SYP. You can find more about it on their site:

http://www.southernpine.com/new-design-values.asp

If you have a building with SYP and just barely meeting L/360, in reality (after they adopt these new standards) your not meeting L/360. Just to pull an example out of the proposed new span chart, 2x10s are now at 16'-1" and with the proposed new span chart they will be 14'-11". That is to meet L/360 30 psf live load.

I'm sure everyone knows, but lumbers not what it use to be.
Unread 11-13-2011, 08:35 PM   #2
Hammy

Send a message via AIM to Hammy
From what I read about it,,,, it is due to the fact the SYP is on a fast trac for growth and they dont think it is as strong. Bad thing about this is there has been very little input from those outside the grading assoc. from what I have read.

Existing inventories will be automatically be devalued causing a loss to lumber yards.

Hammy

Professionally Built Mold - Mildew - Moisture Resistant Showers
Using Laticrete & Schluter Products

Click here to Visit us on Face Book
Hammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2011, 06:20 AM   #3
gueuzeman

The 2x joist should go the way of the rotary phone. The lumber isn't as good, and should be devalued. TGI's and other new stuff are the way to go.

There will always be a need for dimensional wood, but.....

gueuzeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2011, 07:18 AM   #4
koihito
A person, like you.

TGI's do have draw backs. In my (admittedly personal) experience dimensional lumber is far more tolerant of termite and water damage. TGI's fail with minimal damage whereas dimensional lumber will sustain a fair amount of damage before failing; These may not be issues everywhere, but here in NC where termites and crawlspace moister cause a lot of problems it is a consideration.

TGI structures also burn much faster according to our local fire department. Our fire chief sees them as a safety compromise. I have no idea if he is right but...

www.mikoskiconstruction.com
koihito is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2011, 07:26 AM   #5
cx
Moderator emeritus

Part of the problem, perhaps all of it, is that the grading standards changed some years back and certainly not for the better. I don't recall exactly when it was, but I remember the change clearly. It was fairly dramatic and I don't recall any commensurate changes in anyone's span tables. This change is overdue in some opinions.

While I like dimension wood and have employed some miles of it over the years, I certainly agree with Gueuze that engineered wood is the way to go when verifiable characteristics are important and straight (or properly cambered) pieces equally important.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2011, 07:38 AM   #6
Bruce H

Nate, your fire department is absolutely correct, at least in the opinion of the presenters of a seminar I attended a couple years ago. The seminar was about how buildings of different construction types react under different fire conditions. They specifically mentioned how quickly TJI's fail in a fire compared to dimensional lumber. The reason is that dimensional lumber develops char in a fire and the char acts as an insulater; because the dimensional lumber is thicker, it takes longer to get to the point of failure.

All that said, I agree that dimensional lumber certainly isn't what it used to be. It doesn't suprise me at all that design values are being reduced. But then I have never stretched out dimensional lumber right to it's limit.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase