Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 09-14-2020, 03:17 PM   #1
atljar

Ditra Heat in Kerdi Board

Is it advisable, or maybe not, to lay Ditra Heat cable in a routered groove in Kerdi board? I know this method is used to go over shower curbs to get the ditra heat into a shower stall, but never seen it used more widely.

Reason: I want to use a kerdi shower pan with a very small mosaic tile, which would eliminate Ditra heat mat from being used due to the small tile size.

Also having some thoughts of using on a small area of the shower wall, directly behind the shower bench. I know schlueter says no to in wall installations, but only because of possible piercing from picture hanging. Dont see that happening in the shower stall. Of course both instances would be covered and sealed with Kerdi band after putting it into place.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by atljar; 09-15-2020 at 09:20 AM.
atljar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 09-14-2020, 05:18 PM   #2
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Not a good idea, IMHO! The surface layer on KerdiBoard helps to stabilize it and routing a bunch of slots in it won't help. That would also destabilize it enough where smaller tile may not be a good choice, either.

I'd call Schluter. Maybe I'm missing something
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2020, 06:56 AM   #3
atljar

I assumed (dangerous i know!) that the cuts were no big deal as Schluter sells the curved board anyways, that is pre-cut and scored to allow bending and curvature.
Unread 09-15-2020, 11:41 AM   #4
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Assumptions can be dangerous. It might work, but it might not. As I said, your best bet is to ask the company. A significant amount of the surface strength is the continuous surface bonding layer. Routing slots, pushing in a heating wire may not provide the stability you really want and need.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2020, 03:29 PM   #5
atljar

Schluter reply for future searches:

NO we would not recommend doing that at all. We do have a recommendation for installing tile that is smaller than 2"x2" over this application.
2"x 2" or smaller tile can not be warranted on our Ditra products. This is specifically due to human installation error and point load distribution.
To further explain it; say for instance that when setting the tile the installer doesn't fill the Ditra waffles or voids fully. Walking along comes someone with high heels or a cane. The tile has the potential to break loose and fall into this void.
In the past (and now) we have recommended that the installer give a skimcoat or prefill the Ditra with a modified thinset or floor leveler, giving extra attention that a flat, solid, smooth bonding surface will work for a base to set the tile. LET THIS SKIMCOAT CURE.
Once this has cured one install tile with an unmodified thinset.

This is ideal for a shower application as the Ditra heat needs to be skimcoated anyway to install the top layer of KERDI membrane
Unread 09-19-2020, 01:51 PM   #6
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

Thanks for following up with this.

Why you should NOT buy a newly remodeled home ~DIYTileGuy
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase