Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 09-02-2020, 02:11 PM   #1
duke96

Where do I start?

I ordered porcelain tile with installation from lowes in July and as of now (Sept. 2) they still haven't installed it. I've called 4 times and the installer has not called me back. So now I'm wanting to install myself but have a question about where to find the center. The tile will go from my front door, down hallway to the kitchen. The biggest room will be the kitchen is that where I should find the starting point?
Attached Images

Unread 09-02-2020, 02:57 PM   #2
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

I would probably start at the doorway, but I can't see your floor from here.....

“I came, I saw, she conquered."
The original Latin seems to have been garbled.”
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2020, 03:34 PM   #3
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

A couple of other things to consider:
- the brick like layout you show may not work with the tile involved. The industry guidelines is to have a 30% max overlap, not a 50% one. It MIGHT work, but it depends on the tile being VERY flat to work at 50%, so you must check that first...place two tiles (at least) front to front and see if they rock or are in full contact. A typical tile has some bow to it, and you'll get excessive lippage when set at 50%.
- A large area like you're dealing with begs for movement accommodation joints at a minimum, between rooms. This could be a grout-colored caulk, or an engineered expansion joint (my preference).
- Don't try to make a really small grout joint...industry calls for at least 3x the difference between the min/max of the tile sizes involved.
- With a large tile like you indicate, industry calls for the floor to be VERY flat PRIOR to trying to install the tile...prep is everything. Don't' try to do it during tile setting. On a large area like that, any deviations in flatness will distort the reflections, and highlight them.

You want to avoid lots of slivers (small tiles) in the design. That can get messy when going through many rooms, especially when they are not rectangular. When I did my downstairs, I did things on the diagonal to sort of break things up and flow between areas smoother. It's harder, but something to consider.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.

Last edited by jadnashua; 09-02-2020 at 07:08 PM. Reason: typo on min grout size specification...fixed to 3x
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2020, 05:55 PM   #4
duke96

Wow a lot to consider... thanks Jim
Unread 09-18-2020, 01:48 PM   #5
duke96

Tile over old mortar?

I'm preparing my floor to install ceramic tile. I removed old ceramic and was wondering if I need to remove all the old mortar? The old tile/mortar was over subfloor and I'm putting backerboard down over sub floor for new ceramic.

Thanks!
Unread 09-18-2020, 02:19 PM   #6
cx
Moderator emeritus

Duke, it'll help if you'll keep all your project questions on one thread so folks can see what you're working on and what's been previously asked and answered.

Not enough information to really make an assessment.

1. First, have you evaluated your joist structure to see if you qualify for a ceramic tile installation?

2. Do you know what the subfloor consists of?

3. How thick and of what consistency is this "old mortar" you're asking about? Is it a thick (at least 3/4") layer, or are we talking about previous tile having been bonded directly to a wood framed subfloor?

Photos are often helpful.

Let's start with that.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2020, 02:54 PM   #7
duke96

1. Yes

2. 3/4in. Plywood and 1/4 in underlayment

3. The old mortar is not consistent all over, some of it came up with the old tiles. The mortar left on floor is less than 1/8in thick
Attached Images

Unread 09-18-2020, 05:54 PM   #8
smifwal

That looks like Luan that your tile was set on, that needs to come out before you put down your backer board
Unread 09-18-2020, 06:46 PM   #9
cx
Moderator emeritus

Also does not appear to be a plywood edge I see under the Lauan in the photo, Shawn, or is it just me?

Are we sure about the composition of that subfloor, Duke?

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2020, 07:22 PM   #10
smifwal

Looks like osb from here... I didn't zoom, just called out the obvious. Duke should take that Lauan out and get us a pic of the subfloor.

(Edit) that subfloor could be MDF also. I was having a brain fart yesterday and couldn't think of what else it could be.

Last edited by smifwal; 09-19-2020 at 04:36 AM.
smifwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2020, 08:16 PM   #11
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Hi Duke. Once you figure out the subfloor, sometimes it's best to start the tile layout up against carpet in a doorway or cased opening. Another place we like to start the layout is at a step down that might involve a tile riser.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase