Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 08-05-2020, 01:16 PM   #31
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

You could cut the bubble out and put on a patch as long as you had at least 2" overlap. You could probably slit it, put some Kerdifix underneath, and not put a patch over it. A quick call to Schluter would give you their recommendations.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2020, 10:51 PM   #32
maxwell_smart007

Schluter rep said it's probably fine, but I can cut and patch with thinset and a 2" overlap if I'm concerned...
Unread 08-17-2020, 01:14 PM   #33
maxwell_smart007

Fixed, and I'm happy I did it.

Just laying out the tile, and I can't decide how precise to be around the kerdi drain. Do I want a dead-on perfect cut with no wiggle room at all (the way I have it now), or should I shave off a bit of room and surround the chrome drain with 1/8" of grout?
Unread 08-17-2020, 01:32 PM   #34
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Pretty sure you're gunna want that grout joint between the tile and the drain, Andrew.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2020, 01:55 PM   #35
maxwell_smart007

Thanks Dan - I'll look into fixing that tomorrow
Unread 08-30-2020, 01:52 PM   #36
maxwell_smart007

Shower floor in and looks good...I'll grout it after I do the walls.

Having some trouble with the shower niches. In my efforts to ensure that they were fully wrapped and waterproofed, I ended up with some out-of-square issues.

I'm going to be using a pencil tile to cover the cut edges and butt the wall tile up to that, but I'm wondering about how to make things look good given the unevenness.

Can I use a medium -bed mortar and use that to essentially shim out the tiles so that they're level/true? In one spot it's about a 1/2" or a shade more...Is that a bad idea in a niche?
Unread 08-30-2020, 02:05 PM   #37
Kman

You don't want to use mortar like that to build up the tile. Can you post a picture of what you have? What caused the sides to be out of square?

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2020, 05:23 PM   #38
maxwell_smart007

redid the niches, and they're waterproofed, cured, and tiled.

Trying to get some pencil tile trim around the outside - marble pencil, quite 'chippy' in the saw....

Do I want to cut the mitre so that they fit together perfectly, like a framed window or picture frame, or do I want to leave a thin space that I can later fill with grout?

I'm thinking grout, so I'm thinking I shouldn't fit them so they're exactly fitted - just matched angles with small grout line. Thoughts?
Unread 09-23-2020, 08:47 PM   #39
cx
Moderator emeritus

Andrew, you just hafta evaluate your particular situation and do what looks best to you and doesn't dramatically violate any industry guidelines.

I've done mitered stone pencil trim both ways. While the industry requires a minimum 1/16ths" grout joint no mater what, when I have short sections, such as bordering a shower niche, and I like the look of tight joints and my stone is cutting cleanly enough, I'm inclined to fit my joints tightly because I'm a trim man at heart and I don't envision enough movement in those short sections to be a problem. Thus far that's always been the case.

I don't believe even the dreaded Tile Ranger would give me grief on that.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2020, 02:10 PM   #40
maxwell_smart007

Thanks CX!

I'm going to change my plan, though. The tile is chipping like crazy on the mitre cut, too, so a butt joint with grout spacing looks better (cleaner cut on the straight cut).

Wife said butt joint, so butt joint it is! (plus this tile is bloody hard to get, and I don't have enough to spare if the saw cuts a chip in another mitre)
Unread 09-27-2020, 03:46 PM   #41
cx
Moderator emeritus

Not sure just what you're telling us there, Andrew. You could have either type of joint either with or without a grout gap between the pieces. Using some styles of stone trims I have also occasionally done coped joints. That can also be done with or without grout joints.

When you hear folks talk about using butt joints in stone or ceramic tiles, they're most commonly talking about butting the tiles hard against one another with no grout joint at all. That is specifically cautioned against in the ceramic tile industry.

Therefore I'm declaring myself as officially confused about what you mean in your last post.

You might also look into using a different blade or a different saw to do those miter cuts to see if you can't reduce the chipping.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2020, 10:18 PM   #42
maxwell_smart007

I mean that she wants the cuts to be square, rather than mitred...

It'll be much easier, and I won't have to worry as much about chipping buggering up the look of the mitres.

I've tried four different blades - I think it's partly the cheap saw, but a straight cut seems to be better at allowing me to support the tile to avoiding chipping.

Tried the rental store - they don't have a decent saw (small town) - so plan C is skip the mitre - which happens to be plan A for my wife - so problem solved!

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase