Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 07-23-2018, 11:31 AM   #1
steviesteve

Good Porcelain Wet Saw Blade Suggestions

I bought the Rubi DU EVO tile saw a few months ago and I first used it last night to do lay down 25 sq ft of 12x12 glazed porcelain tiles in an entry way. The saw works very well and I was surprised at how quiet the motor was when running. My only complaint about the saw is that it chips the edges of the tile. I am assuming that the blade is of low quality since it says that it can cut porcelain tiles. Does anyone have any suggestions about which blades would work well on porcelain tiles? The saw accepts 8" blades with either 5/8" or 1" arbors.
Unread 07-23-2018, 01:46 PM   #2
dskater411

Do you mean chips at the very end of your cut or the entire cut edge is rough/jagged? Others can weigh in but I am assuming both are a result of the type of tile or saw more so than having a low quality blade. I have done a couple of full baths using an $80 work force 7" tile saw with a not so new blade and was able to work around both of these issues quite easily. For a rough edge, 15 seconds with a pumice stone cleans it right up. For a chipped end, I noticed it always chipped the same side so I would make the chip be on my scrap side of the cut then clean the usable piece up. Also you can pre-cut one side of the tile 1" or so before turning it around to finish the cut.
Unread 07-24-2018, 09:39 AM   #3
rmckee84

I'll disagree, a quality blade can make all the difference.

Did you dress the blade? A new blade will have a break in period where it may not cut great. Dressing the blade will expose the diamonds and yield better results. I will say sometimes different blades work better with different tile. I usually carry 5 different blades when I show up to an install.
rmckee84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2018, 01:34 PM   #4
Tile & Stone Guild
King Of Tile

^^I agree, some tiles are harder than others. Glazes are different so sometimes a continuous rim is needed and sometimes the mesh works better and others need a segmented blade. The harder it is the more prone it is to being a little chippy.

A continuous rim will always be the least aggressive as far as chipping but not everything can be cut with one. It will bind and push the blade and youll end up with a curved cut if its dull or material is too hard. Right tool for the job applies.
Unread 07-24-2018, 01:54 PM   #5
steviesteve

David

Most of the cut has chips on the surface. The rest of the cut is clean. I have used Felker blades in the past but I was cutting ceramic tiles. I haven't tried dressing the blade so I'll give that a try. Thanks.

Ryan and Jeff

My first thought was the blade because 1.) it is new and I have no experience on how it cuts this or any other tiles and 2.) the motor runs quietly with no vibration when not cutting tile. I have not dressed the blade and in all honesty, I wasn't aware that this was a practice. I have only done minor tile work in the past and always borrowed tile saws. This is my first saw. What blades do you use? I am about to close on a house and I want to remodel the kitchen and bathrooms with various types of tile. I don't mind buying multiple blades as long as they are of good quality because I am certain that I will use them down the line. However, I do not want to buy some that are sub-par and throw $50-$100 down the toilet. I have been looking at Montolit CPF200 8" Perfetto, RTC 8" Porcelain Razor, and Blade Viper Mesh 8". Any advice on this is much appreciated. Thanks.
Unread 07-24-2018, 03:00 PM   #6
CaliGrown

The 8” Ridgid Blade from Homer’s makes decent cuts on porcelain. Just dress the blade to breck it in with a brick or chunk of concrete
- The Brutally Honest Tile Mechanics -
Joseph Peres (7/16/95 - 8/31/19)
CaliGrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2018, 11:43 AM   #7
Tile & Stone Guild
King Of Tile

Who is the tile manufacturer?

Blades i have Rubi Viper, Lackamond Beast, Black Widow, MK Hot Dog, Pearl P4, Montolit DNA
Unread 07-25-2018, 12:24 PM   #8
steviesteve

Chris,

I'll look into the Rigid blade. I didn't really think of them. Thanks.

Jeff,

It was the Marazzi brand.
Unread 07-25-2018, 04:36 PM   #9
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

My last 3 blades have been the Pearl P4.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2018, 04:41 PM   #10
Curlyrock

Rubi's are good

Well Rubis are respected fairly well so I will assume the quality of your Porcelain isn't up to par perhaps. It shouldn't chip like that. Not with a Rubi.
Unread 07-25-2018, 05:42 PM   #11
Tile & Stone Guild
King Of Tile

Some of the Marazzi lines can leaned to the hard side. The Pearl P4 should be easy enough to get if the Rigid doesnt work out for you
Unread 09-25-2020, 12:06 PM   #12
Homebrew DIY

I like the snap cutter for these situations.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase