Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 11-21-2019, 08:54 AM   #16
cx
Moderator emeritus

Traci, do I understand you to mean you oriented the grain on your second layer perpendicular to the grain of the first plywood layer?

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2019, 04:54 PM   #17
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Plywood has significantly more stiffness across the outer plies versus along them, so, hopefully, the second layer is oriented the same way, across the joists, as the first, but offset per the instructions. Your installation is expecting the stiffness between the joists from the ply grain crossing them, not along them.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2019, 09:04 AM   #18
tracism

oh no. will that compromise the job, even in a 4 x 6 space? I thought I read to do it that way.

This is my little "master" half bath so it doesn't get a lot of traffic or abuse, but if I need to redo it, please let me know.

Additional next step questions:

it passes the 3' level test. I have heat system that is only going to be in about 10 sqft - the rest is vanity or toilet. I have ditra and have read old posts stating that it should go under the ditra mat; however, that seems to counter the structural importance of the mat bonding to the thinset layer.

Does it make a difference if it is under or over?
Unread 11-25-2019, 09:26 AM   #19
cx
Moderator emeritus

Well, Traci, your original subfloor met the absolute minimum requirement for a ceramic tile installation, so you haven't really hurt anything by installing the second layer in the wrong orientation, but you haven't gained much, either. Up to you whether you leave it or correct the error.

You'll not get any advertised benefit from the Ditra, or similar product, unless it is installed directly below the tile installation. You'd definitely want it on top of any heating system.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Unread 11-25-2019, 09:44 AM   #20
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
I'm missing something, certainly not the first time and not likely to be the last.

Traci, if you are installing Ditra Heat mat, directly bonded to the new and clean plywood you recently installed, you don't need anything else under or over the Ditra Heat mat.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2019, 09:48 AM   #21
tracism

It is a different and separate heat mat. They don't locally stock the heated ditra ...although I am considering adding the time and expense to return what I have and go that direction.

I really appreciate your help.
Unread 11-25-2019, 10:04 AM   #22
ss3964spd

I would, Traci, I really would.

The Ditra Heat mat is very easy to install and nearly fool proof. I mean, if I can do it...…

Might be a little more costly but will make up for it with ease, and piece of mind, installation.

Been there, done that, as have others here. Let us know how we can help.
Unread 11-25-2019, 01:47 PM   #23
cx
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan
...make up for it with ease, and piece of mind...
Mmmm, which piece, Dan?

Unread 11-25-2019, 02:10 PM   #24
ss3964spd

The only few pieces I have left.
Unread 12-10-2019, 11:50 AM   #25
tracism

So my saga continues with another question....

I have a perfectly laid double layer of plywood to which I added thinset and heated ditra and then pre-filled the ditra cavities. It all works perfect except I think there is a little 4-6 inch area that did not completely adhere to the plywood and thinset.

Is this a deal breaker? Will I ever finish this job???

Your humble opinions are greatly appreciated!
Unread 12-10-2019, 12:46 PM   #26
ss3964spd

What make you think a small area didn't adhere to the plywood, Traci?

But, in short, yeah - a deal breaker I think. The good news is it shouldn't be too horrible to fix, because thinset mortar doesn't really stick to Ditra, and since it's a small area digging the mortar out, and moving the wires out of the way, cutting out that section, cleaning the mortar off the floor, and installing a new piece, shouldn't take too long.
Unread 12-10-2019, 01:45 PM   #27
tracism

I don't doubt your expertise but I am looking for any way around this . If it is well adhered all around, it is not in the traffic area, not needed for waterproofing and not perceptible to the eye, couldn't the tile just sit there, adhered to the thinset on top of the ditra?
Unread 12-10-2019, 01:47 PM   #28
tracism

the only reason I noticed is because I was on my hands and knees at eye level inspecting, patting down all within my reach from the doorway the next morning.
Unread 12-10-2019, 01:52 PM   #29
cx
Moderator emeritus

Traci, it's yours and you can handle it any way that makes you comfortable. Depending upon your tile size, you may get by with what you have. Or not.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Unread 12-10-2019, 02:34 PM   #30
tracism

well I guess I am wondering how it will fail under those circumstances. is it adherence, deflection, cracking, movement, waterproofing? what is my concern with this problem?

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase