Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Unread 02-15-2021, 09:14 AM   #1
Skyace777

How to clean and seal Permacolor Select Grout

Hi all,

I tiled a kitchen a few weeks back (porcelain) and used Permacolor Select grout from Laticrete. I understood it had some sealing properties in it even though it is cement-based so I didn't seal the grout. Now the grout is already discolored and darkened. Looking for some suggestions on how to best clean and seal it. I called up Laticrete and got multiple answers from their wide selection of products. Open to suggestions.

Thanks!
Unread 02-15-2021, 06:48 PM   #2
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Hi, Al.

No grout or sealer magically keeps grout clean. It still gets dirty. The function of sealer is to buy you a few minutes of time to clean something up if it's exposed to a potential staining agent. Can you tell us what stained the grout?

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2021, 06:58 AM   #3
Skyace777

Nothing was spilled. Just normal wear and tear from dirty feet and shoes.
Unread 02-16-2021, 04:16 PM   #4
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Years ago I had a customer call me back to tile her backsplash after tiling her kitchen floor a few weeks earlier. She was quick to point at the traffic path thru the kitchen and tell me that the sealer I applied wasn't doing it's job. I politely told her that she would still have to periodically mop and scrub the floor to keep it clean. Some folks seem to think that just because it's sealed, it's maintenance free.

I've used the original Krud Kudder several times and it seems to work well. Spray an area of maybe 5 sq ft and let it dwell about 10 minutes. Then scrub it down real well and then mop it up with clean water and a shop vac.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2021, 08:40 PM   #5
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Hi, Al.

Right. Even if that floor had been with 10 applications of the finest, most expensive sealer on the planet, the floor would have gotten dirty to the exact same level.

What Davy said. That Krud Cutter is similar to other high alkaline cleaners. If you can't find that, look for a "Heavy Duty Tile Cleaner" and go through the procedure that he described.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2021, 01:47 PM   #6
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

Laticrete owns Stonetech. Their bulletproof sealer is a pretty good one that would work for Permacolor.
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2021, 09:08 AM   #7
Sharon @ LATICRETE

The care and maintenance of PERMACOLOR Select would be to clean with neutral cleaners. The PERMACOLOR Select grout have additives built into the grout to help with stain resistance and is not required to be sealed. However, if you are in a heavy traffic area or wet area a sealer could add extra protection for the grout.

It would be recommended to clean the soiled areas with the STONETECH KlenzAll. Once the soiled area is cleaned then you can use the STONETECH Heavy Duty Grout Sealer or the STONETECH Quartz & Porcelain Tile Sealer to seal the grout joints if needed.

The daily maintenance of the tile and grout would be as follows: clean any spills immediately or as soon as they are noticed, clean with STONETECH Stone & Tile Cleaner on a daily. Make sure not to use harsh chemicals to maintain the grout as those cleaners will strip the sealer and weaken the protective additives in the grout.

You want to make sure you are using neutral pH cleaners to maintain. Should tiled areas need a deep clean or a maintenance clean we do have products for different issues that are listed on the maintenance and care link here.

Let me know if you need additional help.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase