Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 03-02-2021, 11:37 AM   #16
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Scott, Tom, I'd be inclined to smooch a dab of Ferdi Fix into the tiny holes spread it out around the hole about the diameter of a nickel.

You could certainly patch them with Kerdi and mortar but that's going to leave a mound that typical small shower floor tile will likely follow.
ss3964spd is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2021, 12:38 PM   #17
Jake12

Thanks Dan
That’s what we were leaning towards and did last night. We were able to gently tap on them with the handle end of a screw driver and that seems to have broken off the sharp edge we were concerned about so yes Kerdi fix should seal it up.
We also started to patch but like you say we could see how that was going to create a mess with the layers so we pulled them off.
I think we’re good then. Thinking we’ll let it dry another night as we finished the corners last night and then do a flood test.
Unread 03-02-2021, 09:57 PM   #18
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Tom.

If you hadn't beat on them innocent little sand grains with that big ol' pounder I would have recommended you either leave them alone and tile over them or put a second layer of Kerdi on the entire floor or remove the floor Kerdi, smooth the surface, and do it over.

But sounds like I'm a bit late to that party.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2021, 04:35 PM   #19
Jake12

CX we were waiting on you but decided to move forward. I gently tapped on those friendly sand grains and I think we’re good with the Kerdi fix. We also thought about laying a new sheet so at least we’re on the same path.

Today wondering about grout choices?

I had used Custom products on several projects up until 10 years ago with excellent success. Then tried a Mapei (probably flex color) on my last project due to a recommendation and didn’t like how it mixed. It worked out but i was worrying about it the whole time.

I’m pretty methodical and probably slow compared to the pros but I like to keep the tile cleaned up and have yet had any haze issues like I see so many have to deal with. And therefore like to mix smaller batches

On reading some of the threads here I’m becoming more confused with all of the questions and so many answers.

I also prefer a product available at a big box so it’s easy to pickup more on weekend etc when running short

So here’s what I’ve narrowed it down to but totally open to the best suggestion.

Flex color CQ - pay more attention to mixing ratios I guess. But what I liked about Custom. Seemed similar to mixing thin set

Ultra color Plus FA - recommended in store. but I see rapid setting and maybe harder to work with?

Prism - some recommendations in other posts and might be closer to the Custom I used in past?

Others?

I’ll attach a picture
It’s uneven edge subways we used 1/16 spacers but joints probably get up to 1/8”

What do you recommend for floor grout? Using black tiles shown in niche.

Thanks
Attached Images

Unread 03-03-2021, 07:44 PM   #20
jondon
Hershey Pennsylvania Tile Contractor

Send a message via AIM to jondon
Quote:
posted by Scott:
Flex color CQ - pay more attention to mixing ratios I guess. But what I liked about Custom. Seemed similar to mixing thin set

Ultra color Plus FA - recommended in store. but I see rapid setting and maybe harder to work with?

Prism - some recommendations in other posts and might be closer to the Custom I used in past?

Others?

I’ll attach a picture
It’s uneven edge subways we used 1/16 spacers but joints probably get up to 1/8”

What do you recommend for floor grout? Using black tiles shown in niche.
Hi Scott

My first recommendation with grout it to use the one you have always used because you are used to it and know what you are working with. You also want something you can get at a big box store so that narrows your choices.

Flexcolor CQ is a premixed grout so that might be good since you don't have to mix it. Take it out of the tub and use as you need, you could do a little come back later do a little more, etc. That being said if you haven't used it yet, don't use it on your installation as you don't want it to be your proving ground. You want to go with a grout you are comfortable with so you can finish off your nice installation without coming back here to post yet another grout problem thread. We only have 3 million here.

Any rapid setting grout I would stay away from unless you have worked with it again don't use something to finish your tile job and take risk. Most of us use it all the time, we also do tile for a living and I normally know exactly how long before it fires off, experience you don't have.

For you I would choose Prism, sound like this is what you have used in the past and don't have to rush. I guess you can do small batches as long as your ratios are exact. To me a 12.5 lb bag of Permacolor Select is a small batch but again I use it all the time.

What to use on the floor? If your floor is black I would go black grout, I wouldn't use the black though on the white tile it is going to show and emphasize the inconsistent joints you say some are 1/16" and some are 1/8" so with this being said go the color closest to the tile.

Jon Donmoyer

JD Tile

CTEF Certified Installer #825

Custom Tile Installation in Hershey & surrounding areas

Serving Dauphin, Lebanon, Berks, Chester, & Montgomery Counties PA
jondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2021, 09:38 PM   #21
Jake12

Thanks for the detailed response Jon

Our internet is down in our area so can barely connect via my hotspot and can’t research tonight

It wasn’t cq then because it wasn’t premixed. I thought nothing out of a bucket near a shower or maybe that’s thinset?

I haven’t used the Prism just the standard sanded and unsanded but thinking it may be a step up.

Seems the Mapei products are popular here so thinking maybe time to make a change but appreciate your advice this isn’t the project to mess up.

Anyway let’s see if Xfinity can get their act together and I’ll research tomorrow and maybe update my post then.

Just wanted to confirm I really appreciate the advice.
Unread 03-04-2021, 03:31 PM   #22
Jake12

Ok here’s where I’m at

My son and his better half had picked out a Mapei color and I’m ok going that direction. Now that my internet is back up I was able to catch up on research.

It’s the Keracolor S I’ve used and thinking that is a good choice for this project?

If so do you recommend sanded or unsanded for the walls?

On the floor (black tiles) assuming unsanded for those joints?

I found a pretty good Tech Tip sheet on their website. Sounds like the step up is Ultracolor plus FA and reading on here it can be a challenge. Sounds like efflorescence is the issue but can’t say I’ve had that issue with cement based.

Planning to start this in the morning so any further guidance you guys have is much appreciated.

Thanks
Unread 03-08-2021, 03:53 PM   #23
Jake12

Need help with a grout issue on floor. Used Keracolor S
I underestimated the amount neede and had to mix a second batch half way through. It did seem a bit thinner than first batch
We also wiped that side of floor with a sponge as some dust had fallen from the niche while cleaning that. So maybe a little water got in joints
My son was helping clean and we were worried about haze that seemed to keep persisting so maybe over worked the cleanup.

Finished last night then this morning noticed white spots on the side that was the second batch.

Read Mapei tech sheet on efflorescence and it suggests trying a tooth brush. That helped a little but still inconsistent.

Any suggestions on other methods to try?

I’ll post pics.

Thanks
Attached Images

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase