Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Unread 03-03-2021, 09:41 AM   #1
Kowalabear

Mortar on face of porcelain pavers

Aquadefense was left on cement pool coping and porcelain pavers. It has been on the surfaces for over two weeks. It has rained for most of that time. I tried to see if it would scrub off with a sponge daddy but it won’t budge. The company said it can be removed by mechanical means. I am afraid if I try to sand it off it will damage the finish on the cement coping and the porcelain pavers. Any suggestions?
Attached Images

Unread 03-04-2021, 05:41 AM   #2
CaliGrown

A drill with a scrub brush attached in combo with some diluted muriatic acid on the porcelain. May etch the concrete coping/pavers so best to try in an inconspicuous area. To prevent etching it has to die with dilution and soak in time, will have to apply scrub and wash off in short order.
CaliGrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2021, 06:56 AM   #3
cx
Moderator emeritus

I dunno, Christopher. That acid is not gonna help at all in removing the AquaDefense and can certainly harm the grout and possibly the pavers, too. The brush might help, but I think I'd not recommend the acid.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2021, 09:46 AM   #4
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

On the porcelain, I'd try some acetone and a razor blade. No promises that it'll remove it. I also doubt the acid would help. On the cement, I'd be afraid of the acid eating away the cement and leaving the AD. Those may be stained and have to be replaced.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2021, 04:43 PM   #5
Kowalabear

Thanks everyone. I tried a little vinegar on the pavers and then I used an upright steamer. It did remove some of the stain but not enough. I poured a little vinegar on the cement coping- some lightened up. Going to try filing it off with a small diamond Emory board- the coping looks like corallrock-so it’s in the little crevices
Unread 03-16-2021, 03:44 PM   #6
Kowalabear

Mortar on face of porcelain pavers

I have porcelain pavers that resemble coralrock. The contractor set them but did not clean the mortar off of the face. The mortar has dried onto the top of the paver and in all of the nook and crannies. This is the second contractor that was hired to do the job- the first splashed aquadefense all over the tiles. Those tiles were not able to be cleaned- muraic acid was tried but only ruined the paver. Now I have a dried mortar situation. Really need help!

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase