Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Unread 07-06-2010, 10:58 AM   #1
nicole mull

Sealing unglazed porcelain tile mosaic table

Would love to get feedback on the following.

I am working on making a mosaic patio table. I have taken a metal patio table (circular, seats 6), flipped it over, filled it with cement and then affixed LYRIC UNGLAZED PORCELAIN 1x1 tiles with thin set. After the millions of tiles were set, I lightly sealed the tiles with the wipe on sealer recommended by mosaicartsupply.com, the seller of the tiles. This was in order to make the grout residue easy to remove. I grouted the table yesterday and it is now ready for a sealer. The grout is light in color (came out a lot lighter than I thought) and both the tile and the grout look more lively when damp.

My question is what kind of sealer to use considering the following:

1. It's an outdoor table so will have to withstand wet weather along with ample sun

2. would like to have a smooth, easy to clean surface -- i.e. don't want tomato sauce colored/stained grout lines.

3. would not mind the "wet look" as it looks brighter

4. perhaps a thick shellac/lacquer finish might be easies to eat - on, spill wipe up

5. don't want it to turn yellow

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase