Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 02-17-2010, 09:02 PM   #1
Greg Larkin

Bonsal / Pro-Spec grout issues

The past two job's that I've had to use their unsanded grout on have turned out looking horrible. I'm having a huge build up of foam in my rinse bucket,and when i take my final wipe there is foam bubbles left in the joint which i can't get rid of. They dry and look horrible the next day.And the amount of air bubbles is tripled. We've used Bonsal products for years and never had a problem until now. It seems now that they've changed name there product is slowly changing.
We have one of those Raimondi® Berta grout cleaning machines and they have an anti foam agent that you have to use in their bucket. I've tried putting that in my rinse water and still get foam. I also should add that these were glass mosaic counter tops and not a wall application,which i can expect a little more residue left on the surface but it still dosen't explain the amount of foam in my rinse bucket.
Unread 03-11-2010, 01:09 AM   #2
tiredguy

I was going through some of the older posts, and seeing this one I had to throw in my two cents.

I had been using Bonsal grout predominately for years with no problems, up until last summer that is. Something has happened at their factories, maybe their quality control is gone, or they're using bad ingredients, but their grout is pretty much crap now. I use sanded most often, and it is pretty much impossible to get a quality consistant color anymore. The light grout will have dark patches and vice/versa. At first I thought it was me, maybe my old Barwalt System sponges were the problem, leaving too much water maybe. Then I went old-school, back to the hand-wrung sponge and bucket of water and that didn't help.

I also found out others guys were having the same problems. So basically I've washed my hands of them and have gone to using either Mapei or Custom's stuff, and haven't had any problems since (though I saw in another thread that some guys have been having similar issues with Custom's grout too, so go figure).

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase