Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 07-12-2006, 07:25 PM   #1
newhouse41

limestone new build

I am having 1000 square foot of marble installed in my new house. They are just starting and I have a few questions. I am having 16x16's on the floor, 12x12 in the master bath floor and walls, with patterns, ect. I have a 1/8 inch goutline and they are going to use sanded grout.

My question is what kind of sealer should I use for this tile. Should it be the same for the shower, floor, backsplash, ect. I plan on using a sealer that is also an enhancer (I was looking at Aqua mix Enrich and Seal) Also, what is a good way to keep the shower tile clean? I have heard this can be a pain. Can I also use this sealer on my granite countertops?

I also need to know if it is ok to seal after grouting or if I should try to get in and seal in between. Thanks in advance for the help

-Corey
newhouse41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 07-12-2006, 07:41 PM   #2
GraniteGirl
Ms. Makita

Send a message via Yahoo to GraniteGirl
What is your sub floor? Is it on slab? If not, make sure the deflection is sufficient for stone (L/720)

Are your tiles polished, honed or tumbled? It would help in deciding what kind of grout you should have. Polished or honed stone should have non-sanded grout and a small grout line (1/16"-1/32")

What are the names of the tile? Have you tested for water absorbancy?

www.IslandSoapstone.com

Relax - it's a rock! What could go wrong?!

GraniteGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2006, 07:43 PM   #3
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Unless you really like the look, big tile, polished surface stone tile is usually set using a 1/32-1/16" grout line. It is harder to get it set without showing lippage, but it often looks better. Sanded grout is usually not suggested for limestone. If you ever want the floor refinished, unless you want a matt finish, you won't be able to do it. The sand in the grout would scratch the tile, and you'd never get it polished.

The TYW store sells one brand of sealer that works quite well and helps support this site from the commissions. If you contact the people, they'll send you a small sample of the one(s) you might like to try. A good sealer is quite expensive, but you don't use that much.

Some granites do not benefit from a sealer, so do. So, you'd need to tell us what the name of the granite is.

Unless you use an epoxy grout, the grout needs to be sealed.

In the bathroom, the big tiles will work everywhere but on the shower floor...there, it is highly recommended that you use a smaller tile - less chance of slipping: more grout lines, more ridges to keep you from slipping.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2006, 06:58 AM   #4
newhouse41

The floor is L/720. The tile I have is durango select limestone in the master bathroom and chocolate limestone in the rest of the house. The limestone is honed and filled. My installer really wants to use sanded grout, is there a downside to this? Thanks again.
Unread 07-13-2006, 09:24 AM   #5
JTG

Most likely he want to use sanded grout because he wants to set the tile as far apart as possible so he won't have to fight the lippage issue so much.
Problems with sanded grout are mentioned by Granite Girls. It will make it imposible to refinish the stone with any look other than honed.
JTG

Santa Seattle
Ballard

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/SantaJerryinBallard
JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2006, 10:29 AM   #6
jvcstone
Stone Carver

Even putting in the sanded grout can scratch up the surface. Sand is silica -(silicon dioxide) hardness 7, Limestone/marble is calcium carbonate -hardness 3 In my opinion all natural stone should be set with minimum grout line width. even the honed and filled surface will show the scratching.
JVC

-- John VanCamp
we should not accept something as true until it has been officially denied!
jvcstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2006, 12:32 PM   #7
newhouse41

They finished setting the tile for the floors today. They did set the tile as close as possible without showing any uneveness. (MY guess from looking at it is just under 1/8 inch, maybe 1/16). They still want to use sanded grout and do not seem to be nervous about scratching. I do not plan on refinishing the stone so should I let them go ahead or demand non-sanded. My concern is that if I demand unsanded and something goes wrong with the tile down the line (cracking, ect) then they will blame it on the unsanded grout and not fix it.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated as they are groutning on saturday!!
Unread 07-13-2006, 01:40 PM   #8
bbcamp

Let whomever is writing the check decide which grout to use.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase