Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 07-12-2006, 12:36 PM   #1
helpmeplease123

tiling a fireplace

Hi, I have a fireplace that is tiled. I would like to re-tile it using tumbled marble or tumbled tile. I would like to leave the old tile in place, is that possible? Also, is there some kind of glue or pre-made mortar strips(not sure what it is called) that I can use to do this? Thank you for your input.
helpmeplease123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 07-12-2006, 10:54 PM   #2
T_Hulse
Tile Contractor

Hi 123, welcome to the forum. Got a first name we can use?
Most of the top end (most expensive) thinset mortars will bond to existing tile. What kind of tile is on there now? Tiling over a fireplace does give you a thickness problem at the edges though. You'll need some kind of trim, depending on what new tile you pick, to hide the exposed edge of the old tile.
Unread 07-13-2006, 11:46 AM   #3
helpmeplease123

tiling a fireplace 2

Thanks THulse for your previous answer regarding tiling over an already tiled fireplace. The tile that is on there now is 12inch ceramic tile with a smooth finish. Is there such a thing as tile tape to use for this kind of job? Thank you for your help. Jack
helpmeplease123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2006, 02:59 PM   #4
mrjetskey

Fire place are super easy to tile,just run a board across top opening of fireplace,set all your tile from the board up,when it is set ,remove board tile lower portion and youre ready to grout,I tiled over brick with just a good quality thinset,I am sure you can tile over tile ,just watch that you will be able to make it look finished and that there is no place where the thickness of the tile over tile will cause a problem,it does help to scuff up any real shiny porcelin or shiny areas so the thinset will stick better,Have a great day!

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase