Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 03-09-2006, 03:04 PM   #1
jake452

substrate for tile over wooden joists

Hello:

I'm going to install tile on an outside partially raised wooden joist frame (basically a deck without the decking installed). The framing is plenty strong to support the weight and greatly exceeds L360. My question is with the spacing of the joists at 12" OC, what should I install as the substrate? Plywood, backerboard, both or something completely different? I don't want to skimp on the install, but since the framing is already overkill, I don't want to do more than is necessary.
jake452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 03-09-2006, 06:55 PM   #2
bbcamp

Welcome, Jake!

Go to www.schluter.com and download their Ditra handbook. Look for the detail for outside balconies over un-occupied spaces. Follow that.

Now, is this overbuilt deck well supported lateraly, i.e. tied into a more rigid building or are the piers cross braced? Do the footings extend below frost line? The big killer of outdoor tile projects (above grade) is movement of the structure. Many decks are not built to the same structural requirements of a house, and they tend to fail.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2006, 09:29 PM   #3
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Jake.

What Injineer Bob said.

Outside deck also hasta slope, too. Preferably away from the house.

Your framing do that?

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2006, 10:14 AM   #4
jake452

Thanks guys for the replies. One end of the "deck" ties into the foundation of the house with a ledger, therefore there is no cross bracing. I live in southeast TX (near Houston), so we don't have a frost line to extend below, just clay soil, however the footings are between 3-4' deep, down below any fill dirt into undisturbed soil. The support beams lay directly on the piers, so there will be virtually no lateral movement (i.e. swaying of posts, etc.). There will [probably] be a metal roof covering this install, however I did slope the "deck" in the event that we go with an arbor overhead. I believe the slope is 1/8" per foot. I'll read over the ditra handbook and then ask whatever questions that may come up.
jake452 is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase