Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 09-06-2002, 07:18 PM   #1
vascott1

Send a message via AIM to vascott1
Things don't always go as planned... I am remodeling a kitchen and one side is done. I was not planning on doing any tiling on the wall behind the sink and counter for quite some time do to the cost. Well, I found the money and I ordered the 12x12 black granite tiles I wanted. They are only 1 or 2 high so there is no issue with the weight. When I put up the new wall, I did it with 1/2 inch green board so I know it is solid and well fixed to the wall. The issue is since I wasn't going to do anything I painted it to match the rest of the room so it has a nice semi-gloss finish on it.

Can I put the tiles up right over this or do I need to treat it or prime it somehoe? Worst case, do I need to rip it down and replace it with 1/2 inch wonderboard? I am hoping to avoid that hassle.

Thanks!

Scott.
vascott1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 09-06-2002, 07:26 PM   #2
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Scott, Welcome.

It's going to depend on the paint and whether the paint will hold to the sheetrock. There's no question we have all the super duper adhesives that will hold the tiles to the paint.

You could do a test piece. Put up one tile and leave it there for a while. Then try to pull it off. If you can't pry it off after a couple weeks, I'd say you're safe.

John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2002, 08:29 PM   #3
Sue20
Official Hostess, JB Forums

Thumbs up

Welcome to a great forum Scott, you can be sure that any and all questions you have will get prompt and correct answers!!
Sue20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2002, 02:53 PM   #4
Bud Cline
Tile Contractor -- Central Nebraska

I would go for it without too much worry. I have been applying tile to painted walls for decades and have never had a failure that I'm aware of.

This assumes a dry wall in a normally dry area.

Thinset should be used instead of mastic because thinset will dry and 'set' overnight, mastic could take weeks to dry/cure.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase