Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 11-15-2020, 09:19 AM   #16
Just In Tile LLC

I experimented with a "dry" wet set when I tiled my garage floor. Mixed it the same as I would for floating a shower floor. Turned out great and had two small hollows spots in my first couple rows, around the edge of tile.

Install is solid as a rock....minus those two spots. My workaround for being too low was having multiple trowel sizes, 1/4"-1/2". I dry tamped each tile before notching it and based on that I knew which trowel to grab so it would be give me the right amount. By the end I was mostly grabbing for the 1/4" trowel. Still the flattest floor in my house.
Unread 11-15-2020, 11:08 AM   #17
Autoplay
Tile Setter

Before thinset was available,that was the norm,Justin. A two man crew,was expected to fresh set/grout....50-60 sq ft a day. It all changed with thin set....multipled by5-6 times the footage,expected in a day. 300sq ft in a day,became the norm.

In my experience,like you stated Justin,in regards to the moisture of the mud(‘just a tad drier than mud used for shower pan) the install is much stronger,when all the setting materials,are used/bonded,in the same day.

Fresh setting,IMO,is helpful,with large stone/tile,as you can get the plane,perfectly flat,and even level,if so desired.
Unread 11-16-2020, 07:07 AM   #18
Just In Tile LLC

Yeah everything bonded same day seems to be the hardest to tear out later down the line. But some of these thinset mortars after fully cured... MAN they'll bring chunks of concrete with them on demo day.

A very handy tool I'm seeing trend on Instagram for the larger tiles is the RTC Grabo electric suction cup. It has this soft seal that will even pick up some irregular stone. Very cool!
Unread 11-16-2020, 10:41 AM   #19
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
From what I can tell, I like everything I've seen here (apart from the safety violations). Had I known about stuff like that back in my setting days I would have had it. Pretty neat.
John Bridge is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2020, 12:54 AM   #20
CaliGrown

Cool to see the way it’s done elsewhere. These videos take you for a spin in the tile & granite world, two to four man crews putting out some mud & footage. Found this one and thought it was some tidy work.
https://youtu.be/a1IKidnNCj8
CaliGrown is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase