Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 08-03-2018, 07:39 AM   #1
ItchyVols

Bathroom Remodel

Not to derail this thread, but in planning a bathroom remodel I have been thinking I would do a drop in tub and tile around. From hearing you all talk it seems as though drop in may not be the way to go from a structural soundness point of view?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Unread 08-03-2018, 07:50 AM   #2
cx
Da Home Builder

Welcome. Please put a first name in a permanent signature line for us to use.

I've separated your post from the other visitor's thread to avoid confusion on both. Use this one for all your project questions.

Do you plan to have a shower within this tub installation?

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2018, 09:39 AM   #3
ItchyVols

Here is my rough layout. Currently there is a tub where the new tub will be going but it is 10+ years old and needs to be replaced. There is currently a tub/shower combo where the tub is located in this picture. Lots of unused/wasted space in the bathroom that I’m looking to utilize. I will have to take out a window and a door to turn this jack and Jill bathroom into a master bathroom. Lots of work ahead but trying to do my homework from the start. I will post pics of the current bathroom later once I am able to take some.

Flirting with the idea of a 2nd shower head in the shower and having the drain moved to the middle which is not reflected in this rough draft drawing.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  19.8 KB

Last edited by jgleason; 08-25-2018 at 07:13 AM.
ItchyVols is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2018, 09:49 AM   #4
cx
Da Home Builder

If there is no shower in your tub surround, Bradley, the drop-in style tub is fine there. Biggest problem I see with them is getting an installation where cleaning around the tub is not a real problem.

In remodel work, I've found that additional closet/storage space is generally a far more practical use for extra space than a separate tub, but that's for Mrs. Bradley to decide, eh?

My opinion; worth price charged.

Unread 08-03-2018, 09:52 AM   #5
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Itchy, post up your drawing with the rest of the measurements, like distance from the end of the proposed vanity to the left wall of the toilet area, distance between front of vanity to the front of tub and shower, side of vanity to linen closet, etc.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2018, 11:30 AM   #6
ItchyVols

Bradley’s master bath

Hey all, just recently started work on remodeling the master bath. Turning the tub/shower into a walk in shower with a drop in tub next to that. The demo is done and I have taken it down to the original slab. Next step is leveling the 2x4s to have a level subfloor. Going to achieve this using shims and placing 2x4s 16” apart.

I have been planning to put down 3/4” plywood then thought about doing concrete backerboard on top of that to tile on. After doing some digging here I see that it is recommended to have 2 separate plywood sheets totaling 1.25” between the two, then laying ditra to tile onto. Would this be preferable to one sheet of plywood plus one sheet of backerboard?

My other question is in regards to the system I’m going to use. I have seen pros and cons to both USG and Schluter systems. They seem fairly comparable but schluter may be easier to get my hands on? Is one significantly cheaper than the other or is this a dealers choice type of scenario?

Looking forward to this process, though there is a lot of work ahead.

Unread 08-26-2018, 11:54 AM   #7
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Hi Bradley, you mentioned that the tear out is down to the slab but then talk about using 2x4's to level the subfloor. I'm not sure if you have a concrete slab or a wood subfloor.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2018, 12:18 PM   #8
cx
Da Home Builder

Combined you with your original thread here, Bradley.

Let's start with Davy's questions, though.

Unread 08-26-2018, 01:15 PM   #9
ItchyVols

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy View Post
Hi Bradley, you mentioned that the tear out is down to the slab but then talk about using 2x4's to level the subfloor. I'm not sure if you have a concrete slab or a wood subfloor.
There is a slab that was an old porch that the previous owners built on top of. They made a hole in the slab and ran the plumbing in through there then built a 2x4 set up with plywood on top to have room for the plumbing. The plywood floor they had built was not level, hence the election to tear that up and start fresh. Good thing we did, as some of the plumbing was not put together as well as one would like. Here is an image of the plumbing coming into the slab as well as some before pics of the bathroom.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  53.6 KB

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  43.5 KB

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  43.0 KB

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  45.4 KB

Last edited by jgleason; 08-29-2018 at 09:58 PM.
ItchyVols is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2018, 01:23 PM   #10
ItchyVols

Current state of affairs.

https://imgur.com/gallery/shTFTUM

Unread 08-17-2019, 08:20 AM   #11
ItchyVols

Made some progress. Moving on to wall tiling. Is there an easy way to get a nice level grout line started with the first row of tile or is it going to be a bunch of trial and error? With the slope of the shower floor toward the drain it seems like this may be a difficult task. Using subway tiles seen on the front of the tub surround. I suppose I could measure that 1/4” per foot slope for the tiles farthest from the drain and start there.

Unread 08-17-2019, 08:37 AM   #12
cx
Da Home Builder

Most common method for leveling the wall tiles is to start your wall tiling on a carefully leveled ledger board one, or in your case two, tiles above the shower floor. You would want the leveled top of your ledger no higher than two tiles plus grout joints above the lowest point on the shower floor. When you've completed your wall, you would then remove the ledgers, patch any fastener holes, then cut the tiles below the existing wall tiles to fit the shower floor profile.

If you're trying to match the pattern height with the face of your tub, all I can say is good luck. It might work, but you might end up with some "skinnies" at the bottom of your shower walls. A lot of planning is required to make that sort of layout fit well and you appear to be well beyond the planning step at this point and will need to take what you can get as an alternative if it doesn't fit like you thought it would. Perhaps a pattern break between the tub face and the adjacent shower wall? Perhaps a vertical "feature" of some sort on the edge of the wall between tub and shower?

My opinion; worth price charged.

Unread 08-17-2019, 10:03 AM   #13
ItchyVols

Good thoughts. I will get to work on this ledger. I think the plan is to run stone to the ceiling on that divider wall so we don’t have to fool with a bullnose tile to finish that edge on the shower. might just go ahead and run the stone all the way to the floor to break it up a little bit. With so many different tiles it has been tough to figure out how to make everything go together just right and at some point I had to stop planning and start doing. At least that’s what the mrs said.

Unread 08-17-2019, 11:05 AM   #14
cx
Da Home Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley
At least that’s what the mrs said.
Well, Bradley, in the ceramic tile industry that's the equivalent of product manufacturer's instructions; trumps all the other rules.

Unread 10-13-2019, 06:48 PM   #15
ItchyVols

Regarding tile layout around the niche - If tiles centered on the niche will end up with 1 5/8” pieces every other piece on the edge of the shared wall. Tiles are 5 15/16”. Will it look weird having an end piece that small? Is there a different layout I should be looking at that does not have tiles centered on the niche?

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase