Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 10-08-2020, 01:36 PM   #1
qwertyjjj

How to cut installed tile on floor

This is tile in an entrance way.
Unfortunately, the tiler did something weird whilst we were not watching and the tile is not lined up with the wall next to it. He instead took some sort of odd perspective measurement.
In any case, we didn't pay for this part and they refused to correct it so now I have to straighten out somehow.
Is there anyway to use a grinder with guide or circular saw to cut it straight?
Removing the silver trim is going to be difficult too.
Tile to correct

https://imgur.com/a/c2xrDUO
Unread 10-08-2020, 01:39 PM   #2
qwertyjjj

Tile https://imgur.com/a/h61wJlW

Last edited by cx; 10-11-2020 at 07:47 PM.
qwertyjjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2020, 02:39 PM   #3
Radas
Tile Newbie

It's hard to tell from the pictures but it appears the tile is not square to the entryway or the entryway wall is not square to the adjacent room containing the tile, is that correct?

If you decide to keep the tile in place, my suggestion is to use a diamond blade on a track saw to cut the tile square to the entryway. Alternatively, you can also use a compact masonry saw (dewalt makes one and I believe it allows for wet cutting) along with a guide to make the cut. I'd prefer the track saw because you can connect it to a dust collector for a clean cut.

I'd recommend testing either method with a scrap tile to make sure chipping won't be an issue before you cut your installed tile.

The easier method would be to rip up the few tiles that are proud of the entryway, clean off the old thinset, and set new tile cut the way you're expecting. Is there a reason why the installer won't do this?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

..a new excuse to hoard tools
Radas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2020, 04:35 PM   #4
qwertyjjj

If I rip up a few tiles whole, is there anyway to re-use then and take the thinset off the bottom of the tile?
Unread 10-08-2020, 05:14 PM   #5
Kman

It's possible, if they were not bonded correctly, that they could come up in one piece. Of course, that would bring another more serious problem to light.

I would plan on them not being usable and have some more on hand.

Cutting them in place with a grinder and diamond wheel is probably the best option, provided they don't chip on the edge.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2020, 07:00 PM   #6
qwertyjjj

Ok, and lastly where the tile meets the drywall, how do I finish the cut there? I could cut into the drywall by 2" but not ideal. Suppose I should cut a bit out first to see exactly what's behind
Unread 10-08-2020, 07:24 PM   #7
cx
Moderator emeritus

Gordon, it'll help if you'll post your photos as attachments from storage on your computer so they appear in your post and remain a permanent part of your thread.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2020, 12:21 PM   #8
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

I bought one of these for doing something similar. It'll chip up the edge of the tile and spit small chips out but it works with a straight edge.

Your best bet is to get it as close to the drywall as possible and maybe even cut some of the drywall so that it'll cut further. Then try scoring the remaining piece with something like this and try to break it downward.

Then sand or file the edge.

Tired of bullnose tile trim? Here are 5 edge trim alternatives ~DIYTileGuy
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2020, 07:36 PM   #9
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Or you can buy a little 4” circular wet saw. It looks like a mini circular saw, but it’s outfitted with a diamond blade and a hose to gently supply a spray of water to make it easier to cut without crazy chipping. You’ll need to set up a straightedge, as suggested. And I’d have a second person helping to wet vac the water.

I like durable tools. Mostly, more expensive tools last a lot longer than their cheaper competitors, so they end up being cheaper in the long run. But if you only need or want a tool for limited use, cheaper tools might be okay. Here’s an inexpensive Ryobi 4” circular wet saw for $89. You can find more durable wet saws like this in the $150+ range.

I’m not able to view the pictures without downloading an app, so I don’t know what type of tile you’ve got. If it’s ceramic or porcelain, I’d suggest using a 1” diamond cutting wheel like these (about $15 at a home center that sells bits for Dremel/rotary-type tools) in a rotary tool to finish the cuts on either end.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase