Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 09-11-2008, 12:30 PM   #1
STRAIGHTLAYERS
Owner

Tiling Floor, Walls, Ceiling in Marble...Ugh

This is my first time at this web site, and I must say it is the bomb!!! I am doing a master bathroom in 18"x18" marble (designer sold it), its on the second floor. The previous bathroom tub leaked, they have tore out tub, vanity, drywall off of walls I am tiling, and floor down to first subfloor. They removed area that was damaged with water, and replaced it. It is 3/4". I just want to make sure before I start that I am doing everything to ensure no future leaks, cracks etc. I am going to put down over subfloor 1/2" AC plywood, screwed to existing subfloor, not to joist, not glued. Over that I am putting down 1/4" Hardibacker. Then lay Marble. On the ceiling there is still drywall painted its in good condition, is it ok to put the marble directly to that, or do I need to put Hardibacker there as well? The tub is going to be in corner, and the back wall I am tiling to ceiling, the right wall I am tiling approx. 36" wide to ceiling, and the left wall approx. 24" out to ceiling, it also will hold a shadow box with two shelves for soap etc. Its a large tub with jets, they will enclose the rest with glass and hang shower curtain. On the walls I was going to put visqueen stapled to studs, then 1/2" hardibacker, seams will be taped. I need to make sure that is all correct, in addition, what to use on the ceiling tile, the customer said the decorator said no grout line is ok, I believe 1/16" is what I need to do with unsanded grout. Please confirm. I also need to know if starting at the ceiling is the best, then do walls. I am also doing a radius wall in onyx, 12"x12" mesh, can I do that to wallpaper, and what to use to stick it, and best grout for that. I am running 2"x12" strips of absolute black granite on the perimeter of floor, then lay marble, straight lay. In addition to that I am surrounding a mirror with the absolute black strips and a 4" x 8" decorative border, can I stick that to wallpaper, and with what? I am also running that same granite above and below the decorative border in the shower. In addition I am cutting a 12"x12" mesh of black galaxy granite cut down to 4" x 12" around the baseboard, which is now 4-1/4". Can I stick that right to baseboard and with what? What is the best grout for that as well? I know this is alot of information, as you can see it is a very detailed bathroom. Your help will be greatly apprecitiated. I am to lay underlayment tomorrow, and begin tile on Monday. Also I need to know what the best sealer is and cleaner for Marble..this is my first marble job as I suggest to clients NOT to use marble..

Thanks for all your help....Colleen
STRAIGHTLAYERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 09-11-2008, 12:50 PM   #2
Mike2

Hi Colleen.

Way too many questions for me to deal with all at once so I'll just pick off a few.

First of all, setting tile directly to wallboard outside the shower/tub surround, or above the shower head including the ceiling is fine. Scuff up the paint some first with a hand sand paper pad. I would not advise you to set tile over wallpaper, however. That's usually easy to remove using a good stripper. Zinsser makes a spray-on product called DIF that I've used and like a lot. I've seen Home Depot, Ace, True-Value, and others carry it.

Most any good modified thin-set mortar is going to work well for your application. Do you have a favorite one?

Welcome to the Forum, by the way.

Mike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2008, 01:09 PM   #3
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Colleen.

Like Mikey said, I know there are questions in there, but........

Hint: Toward the right side of your keyboard there's one says "Enter," prolly with an arrow on it pointin' to the other side of the keyboard. Pewshin' that will make paragraphs. Makin' paragraphs will make your post easier to read.

And if you wanna pewt lotsa questions in one post, if you number them and make good use of that Enter key it'll make it a lot easier for our many helpful folks to respond effectively.

But your subfloor sounds good. Has anyone checked to see that the joist structure is suitable for the natural stone installation?

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2008, 02:18 PM   #4
tommy123

Somebody sure likes marble. Sounds more like a museum than a bathroom.
tommy123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase