Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 07-23-2007, 02:48 PM   #1
eonibm

Wood, Trim & Tile Sequence - 4 Questions

1. In new bathrooms where you are tiling all of the walls, do you typically install the wood trim first around the doors and then tile to the trim? If so, then this means the tiler has to come twice - once to lay the floor so the wood trim and jambs can be put around the doorways and then again once the trim is up so he can tile to the door trim. Is there any other way to do this? (I'd hate to use temporary 'spacer' trim because when the jambs and trim are finally installed they could be off a bit, leaving a gap between the tile and the trim).

2. How about medicine cabinets, should they be in first so you can tile to them, or should you just tile to the medicine cabinet opening and put the medicine cabinets in after (and damn well sure the cabinets fill the entire opening).

3. How about mirrors? Does one just tile the whole wall, then install the mirror on top? Or, draw the mirror outline on the wall and tile to that outline so that you can set the mirror right on the drywall. I realize the latter gives a slightly different look and uses much less tile, but what is preferable?

4. Where the left or right side of a vanity is going up against a knee wall (which is higher than the vanity countertop), do you tile the entire knee wall, then install the vanity against the tile, or do you install the vanity and counter against the kneewall, then tile down to where wall meets the counter and the walls meets the vanity (less tile this way, but then again, you have to call the tiler back later once the vanities are installed).

5. For floors where the bathrooms have tile floors but the rest of the house is hardwood, do you install the tile first, then the hardwood floors, or the other way around? I was told tile first as it's easier to make a transition from wood to tile than tile to wood. But then someone disagreed with me. I guess there is less chance of damaging the hardwood floors if they are installed last, but which is easier to make the transition with?

Thanks.
eonibm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 07-23-2007, 05:49 PM   #2
LGB
Tile Contractor -- Pennsylvania

1.Yes install the trim. The floor doesn't need to be in. The molding can be cut to allow the tile to slide under by using an undercut saw.
2.The medicine cabinets depend on what kind, If it is recessed I would tile to the rough opening. They usually have a lip that will cover an inch or so around the perimiter. If it is surface mounted I would tile behind it in case you would ever want to change it.
3.Tile the whole wall.
4. You can go either way here. If you tile before the vanity, it only has to be enough that the vanity covers the tile.
5.Tile first and let the hardwood man use a transition piece.
Unread 07-24-2007, 12:12 PM   #3
eonibm

Some more questions

Thanks for the very helpful information! I did tons of research and looked at a lot of books but none provided those answers. I have a few more questions on the above (referring to the numbers above), if you don't mind:

1. I was going to have all of the floor tiles done first in the bathrooms and front entrance area, then the hardwood floors, then have the door jambs and trim installed and then the wall tiles. I didn't know about the undercut saw but I assume the tile guy would charge extra to do the required undercutting. So now I am wondering if people base the sequence on which trade is available first? (ie the tile guy might not be available to do the floors until after the trim guy does his work).

2. I am having the medicine cabinets custom made, and they will be recessed. As such, i guess the cabinet could designed and installed to be flush with the face of the tile (with the door face protruding on the surface of that) and have a lip or not (is a lip preferable?). This is a minimalist contemporary house and the medicine cabinet in one bathroom will be on the left side wall of the vanity (so you'd see the lip, if there was one, as you stand at the sink, or if there wasn't one you'd just see the side of the door only). Also, does one caulk or does one grout in between the cabinet, or cabinet lip and the tile, or do you just not do anything?

4. Would it make more sense to tile the whole wall behind the vanity, so that if I ever want to reduce the size of the vanity I wouldn't have bare drywall showing? Increasing the size of the vanity would not be a problem, of course. Do people typically not tile the whole back that is not exposed in order to save labour cost and materials?

Last edited by eonibm; 07-24-2007 at 12:29 PM.
eonibm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2007, 01:14 PM   #4
idtileguy

leon,
LGB was 5 for 5 on tour first questions. As for the others:

1 I would not charge you for under cutting a couple of door jambs ( its pretty standard to do this)Install the trim before tile, I would charge if I had to make an extra trip. Tile first wood floors last. Changing this sequence for schedules sake could leave you with damaged wood floors.

2 As long as your tile man/woman knows the design of the cabinet up front it could go either way

3 If you may change the vanity later, tile the whole wall.

Larry

Last edited by idtileguy; 07-24-2007 at 02:20 PM.
idtileguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase