Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 03-21-2007, 10:09 AM   #1
Scottt M

Granite Tile, Bathroom CounterTop

Hi all-- first time to the forum. I am working with a friend on a remodel, specifically, installation of 12x12" granite tile on a bathroom countertop. She's not experienced at this, and I'm not much better, but we're giving it a go. It's probably 40 years old, formica is in excellent shape, covering particle board. No bull nose for the tile was available. Total area less than 10 ft2.
I was going to leave the formica on the countertop, since a) it's in great shape, and b) it's particle board underneath, which will swell if moisture hits it.

Now I've read a lot of entries in this forum over the past 24 hours and it appears that generally, you should remove the formica and further, the counter itself, if it's particle board, and replace with plywood. However, I don't think my friend will go for this, for a variety of reasons.

What I plan to do (after removing sink):
1) cut cement board to fit over countertop
2) Mount cement board with screws (having mapped where the tile is going, I can make sure the screws are not near grout lines.)
3) Seal screw holes (added precaution or not necessary?)
4) Apply thinset and granite tile
5) 24 hrs later, apply grout (non-sanded, 1/16" lines)
6) Seal grout and granite tile.

Questions:
a) in laying out the tile on the horizontal surface, do I want to flush the surface to the edge, or do I want to bring the horizontal tile slightly over the edge, and mount the nose pieces underneath (with cement board behind it)? They're not bullnose per se, it'd just be cut pieces of the granite tile. Given that, it seems to look better if the edge of the granite tile were on the side, rather than on top.
b) How soon after I grout can I drop the sink back in? Another 24 hours?
c) I assume I'll need a reciprocating saw for the cement board, correct?
d) You'd recommend renting a saw instead of making the trip to Lowe's 14 times for recuts?
Thanks for any info you can provide!
Scottt M
Scottt M is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 03-21-2007, 09:03 PM   #2
Jason_Butler
Tile Setter

Hi Scott,

Your plan sounds doable but i still don't like any tile over particle board. I'm curious why you wouldn't use plywood. You mentioned it's only 10 sq ft. That's a pretty small area..

Jason
Unread 03-21-2007, 09:37 PM   #3
Trask
Oregon Tile Man

Agreeed..It's such a small expense and area why not just tear out the particle board and replace with plywood. I wouldn't put tile over particle board under any "what if "scenario..It's just crumby stuff.

The rest of what you propose sounds very good

http://bergersontile.blogspot.com/
Trask is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2007, 07:16 AM   #4
Scottt M

Granite Tile, Bathroom CounterTop

Jason, Trask--

Ok, I'm a bit embarrassed here... when I actually looked more closely, it's plywood. The formica came off so easily that it would have been idiotic to go over it instead of removing. So, that problem is solved.

Thanks for the advice, full speed ahead on Saturday.

I'm still mulling over the front pieces, we may not go with granite tile but with a metal piece, or something else, as polishing granite tile for bullnose pieces is pretty expensive in the checking we've done so far.

Anyway, thanks again.

Scottt M
Scottt M is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2007, 10:58 AM   #5
wannaBpro

Scott, welcome. Check out Schluter Systems to the right. They have products for finished edges that are nice. Rondec-CT allows you to insert strips of your tile to match and the aluminum comes in various finishes to match your faucets. Check it out. Good Luck.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase