Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Closed Thread
Unread 12-22-2008, 04:02 PM   #1
PhillyGuy

I need a tile man/woman in Cape May County NJ Area.

I need someone to give me a price (estimate) on some work tile work. I'm looking to get this job started ASAP.

Please be a pro, who sets tile daily as your business, not a contractor who does it here and there *(nothing personal contractors, just my preference) and not a weekend warrior who's pretty good. I can lay tile myself and do a good job, but I want a great job. I plan to live in this home for sometime.

Thank you
PhillyGuy

Last edited by PhillyGuy; 12-22-2008 at 09:06 PM. Reason: Wanted to clairfy something
Sponsored Links
Unread 12-22-2008, 04:07 PM   #2
Hammy

Send a message via AIM to Hammy
yo Alex !!!!

Professionally Built Mold - Mildew - Moisture Resistant Showers
Using Laticrete & Schluter Products

Click here to Visit us on Face Book
Unread 12-22-2008, 04:53 PM   #3
cx
Moderator emeritus

Most of our pros are pretty friendly folks, Philly Guy, so it would prolly help if you'd pewt a first name in a permanent signature line for us all to use.

I spent about ten years in your fair county during the summer of 1963 at the USCG boot camp facility, which may or may not still be there.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
Unread 12-22-2008, 06:32 PM   #4
ceramictec
Tampa Florida Tile Contractor

Hey PhillyGuy,

Cape May? your lucky......I'm near you now.
..............^^--Check out our Blog--^^
Tampa, Florida installer of Schluter Kerdi/Kerdiboard waterproofed showers
Tampa, Florida installer of Laticrete HydroBan/HydroBan board waterproofed showers
Unread 12-22-2008, 07:31 PM   #5
tilelayer
South East PA Tile Contractor

im outside philly Delaware county pa

***New Here?? Click here to add your name to your signature***

Check out my Blog and see my latest tiling projects!

Specializing in Kerdi Showers
Unread 12-22-2008, 08:19 PM   #6
MHI
Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

I'm in NJ, but a little far for me. Also, I'm a contractor that does tile "here and then", so probably not who you are looking for anyway. I do think that I can do tile great, but if you are asking around for prices, then you probably can't afford it.

I believe the guys that install tile in Burger king and Taco Bell do it for a living, maybe you could get them?
Unread 12-22-2008, 08:59 PM   #7
PhillyGuy

Hey CX,

Yeah, the base is still there, I see those kids out all the time from the boot camp over by Rio Grande shopping. I was in the Navy, so I remember those days --- but in 63 I wasn't born. Not really sure how to add my name to the signature line.

Tilelayher --- not in Philly anymore --- Jersey shore now.

MHI --- I'm not looking for a contractor that does it here and there not "here and then" whenever that would be. And not asking around for prices but for a quote/estimate for the job. I think that's how it goes. I don't like the dark grout lines at Burger King, but I haven't checked Taco Bells. I'll look into that tomorrow.

Ceramictec --- i sent you a pm

Thanks !!! well to 3 of you.

PhillyGuy
Big Al
Unread 12-22-2008, 09:04 PM   #8
ceramictec
Tampa Florida Tile Contractor

Quote:
I don't like the dark grout lines at Burger King, but I haven't checked Taco Bells. I'll look into that tomorrow.
..............^^--Check out our Blog--^^
Tampa, Florida installer of Schluter Kerdi/Kerdiboard waterproofed showers
Tampa, Florida installer of Laticrete HydroBan/HydroBan board waterproofed showers
Unread 12-22-2008, 09:07 PM   #9
tilelayer
South East PA Tile Contractor

you can add your name to your signature by click the User CP link at the top of this page and then Edit Signature on the top of the Left hand bar.

***New Here?? Click here to add your name to your signature***

Check out my Blog and see my latest tiling projects!

Specializing in Kerdi Showers
Unread 12-23-2008, 10:52 AM   #10
pitterpat
Bathroom Remodels and Schluterville Grad

Philly Guy,

Guess you haven't read many threads here on the Pro's page; if you had you would know that MHI does excellent tile work and stands behind his work like the best of them. He just happens to have a company that does other bath and kitchen projects too....the full deal. Do some research about the Pro's in the hangout b/4 you start "clarifying" things!
Unread 12-23-2008, 01:06 PM   #11
PhillyGuy

PitterPat

It really doesn't matter to me what MHI does for a living. If he wants to get offended because I posted that I want someone who does tile for a living as opposed to a G.C., that's his problem, not mine.

And since it seems to bother you too. Maybe you and he can cry about it together.

Maybe you should read the thread before you try to give me a hard time too. Cause I didn't ask MHI for anything, he's the one who tried to get smart with me, cause he didn't like what I wrote. And I clarified, with "*(nothing personal contractors, just my preference)" so no one else would take it personal. Why anyone would I have no idea, and honestly, couldn't care less at this point.

Maybe you should be on a job at 12 noon, instead of wasting your time trying to start with me.
Unread 12-23-2008, 01:36 PM   #12
bbcamp

Al, take a breath and calm down. That goes for Pat, Matt, and everyone else, too.

We ask everyone to be civil here, so please try.
Unread 12-23-2008, 01:56 PM   #13
PhillyGuy

Hi Bob,

I'm not upset and not here to argue. But I don't feel I did anything wrong with my original post.

I was just giving back what I was getting. Right thing to do ? Probably not, but I grew up in Philly so I think I did pretty good. lol

Thanks
Unread 12-23-2008, 02:18 PM   #14
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Al, time to "connect the dots" on what's going on so we can move onto helping you.

We're glad to have you here. We can tell you want a great job. Unfortunately "full time" status doesn't mean a whole lot in this biz. Most of the pros here daily see the crappy work left by "full time" tile guys who can't compare to skilled work...maybe because they charged too little to do it right....maybe because they didn't have the skills. Your opening comments struck a chord that we've seen far too often on places like Craigslist or something from homeowners trying to crack the whip to avoid bad contractors.

Matt understands the disconnect between full time and good work and sarcastically mimicked your opening comments by saying he does it "here and there" to let off a little steam. I know for me it gets tiring when you do great work and you're compared apples to oranges day after day. The restaurant work comparison was also meant as a joke, as "full time" tile guys that do restaurant work are working on some of the lowest paid jobs out there.

To get great, you need someone who: understands the TCA Handbok (Tile industry bible) and how to adhere to methods that virtually guarantee a long lasting installation, cares enough to spend time on continuing education, has enough integrity to correctly install all the "hidden" things while no one is looking, and is skilled enough to accurately cut and install tile.

Matt is all of the above and his work far exceeds a majority of "full time" guys you'll find out there. The fact that he does complete remodeling gives him the advantage of carefully integrating the tile work with the rest of the trade work that would otherwise be battling each other. I would have him work in my house in a second. And considering I don't allow people to work in my house, that says a lot.

Good luck on finding someone who can help you out.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Unread 12-23-2008, 02:21 PM   #15
cx
Moderator emeritus

I don't think you did, either, Al. You stated your job requirements and if it excludes some otherwise well qualified folks such a Matt and me, so be it. I'm a little surprised he took umbrage at your post at all.

If I had a dollar for every construction contract for which I was eliminated from bidding because of the specified requirements, I could long since have stopped needing to bid on the ones for which I was qualified, eh?

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
Closed Thread

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase