Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Found usc_block_11 empty, added this: [CODE] [/CODE]
Sponsors

Old 10-16-2018, 05:54 PM   #1
raisingcainp

leveling and honeing marble floor

delipped and flattened floor with 4" monster vacuum brazed 70 grit diamond. what step is next to achieve a honed low luster finish?
Old 10-17-2018, 12:55 AM   #2
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Welcome to the forum, William.

While I could give you generic advice about using 4” wet diamond pads to polish the tiles up to your desired low-level, sheen, it would result in a wavy surface due to the small size of the pads relative to the floor. Polishing floors is typically done with multi-head polishing machine to avoid the very problem of waviness. The equipment is kinda pricey and I don’t have direct experience...so I can’t help you much.

But I can set the stage for someone who can by asking:
What marble are you working with? And what equipment are you intending to use?

Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 05:25 AM   #3
raisingcainp

it's a 100 square foot jack and JILL bath with a 4" by 12" run of herringbone pattern
Old 10-17-2018, 06:50 AM   #4
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

The pads I have go from 80 to 3000 grit. I believe the second grit is either 120 or 150. I've only used them to polish edges of marble when tiling showers so I don't have much experience polishing flat surfaces. Like Bubba said, keeping the marble flat would be my concern when using small pads. Maybe someone with more experience will drop in.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 02:01 PM   #5
Trask
Oregon Tile Man

Hey William,

I would echo what was mentioned above ..
It’s a fairly involved task to get a marble floor flat
And evenly finished... I’ve spent most of my life in the industry working with stone ,
And would hardly consider myself qualified to grind a floor professionally .
You want a larger footprint abrasive pad and machine to keep the
“ fun house “ effect or wavy surface from happening . A 4” disk , even a rigid disk , will be almost impossible to run flat while eliminating even minor discrepancies/ lippange .
‘ off the record ‘ I’ve seen a few guys ( not in the stone trade) surprise me with their hand skill and raw determination . One wood floor guy I encountered
Used his floor sander with screen disks dry and worked it up from 80g to a hogs hair pad . The edging was likely tricky but he had lots of soft wood floor experience and ( aside from the awful dust ) it looked like he was doing a remarkably fine job considering he had zero stone experience.
Worth mentioning too ...
Stone should be grouted and WELL CURED ...as well as set correctly . If you start grinding with a heavy or aggressive machine you can easily comprise poorly set floors or lose / chip corners . Also Softer marbles are a double edged sword .. easy to grind and easy to grind a hole!

http://bergersontile.blogspot.com/
Trask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 02:13 PM   #6
cx
Da Home Builder

Welcome back, Trask. Been a while.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase