Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Found usc_block_11 empty, added this: [CODE] [/CODE]
Sponsors

Old 09-17-2018, 08:22 PM   #106
SemiDriven

Gettin' there! (side-tracked by life and other projects.)

Tacking the entryway and glass tile stripes in the coming weeks.

Question: I managed to put 2 pea-sized chips into 2 different tiles. I have the chips. What do you suggest I use to glue those suckers back into the tile?
Attached Images

Old 09-17-2018, 10:00 PM   #107
Lou_MA

Superglue. One that can be used on ceramics. Just a tiny spot of it so it doesn’t squeeze out and / or raise the chip higher than the surrounding tile.
Old 09-18-2018, 06:47 AM   #108
SemiDriven

Thanks for the tip Lou!

I'm gonna try Loctite's Ultra Gel Control Super Glue.
Old 09-18-2018, 07:18 AM   #109
Lou_MA

Lower viscosity is better. Gel can be thick. And be very careful with the edges of the chip, where it tapers off. They’re very fragile. If the chip doesn’t get seated fully flush with the tile, you may want to carefully push in some unsanded grout.
Old 09-18-2018, 09:21 PM   #110
SemiDriven

Got it. Thinner is better (low viscosity).

I was thinking about surrounding the chips with grout to help prevent further chipping. Your comments helped clarify how to do what I may need to do.

Thanks Lou!
Old 10-17-2018, 06:49 AM   #111
SemiDriven

Hey guys,

Just noticed that one of my 4'' X 1" glass tiles is loose. It's still attached but I can pivot it out of the wall a little. Will grout be enough to hold it in place or should I remove it entirely and then reattach it?
Attached Images

Old 10-17-2018, 07:23 AM   #112
Lou_MA

Remove it, carefully scrape down thinset, vac, and re-set
Old 10-17-2018, 08:59 PM   #113
SemiDriven

OK--thanks Lou!

What tool(s) do you usually use for such a procedure like this?
Old 10-18-2018, 05:07 AM   #114
Lou_MA

In most cases the moisture from the thinset has weakened the bond of the tile to the mesh backing. Take a small putty knife and pry out the loose mosaic and it should come out fairly easy. If you notice it’s still attached to the mesh and pulling up adjacent tiles, just carefully cut out the loose tile - without nicking the Kerdi - while still prying it out.

Start prying between the loose tile and another mosaic. Hopefully you won’t chip the tile you’re using as leverage, but if so, it’ll be easier to replace a second mosaic than a bigger field tile.

Then use the putty knife or whatever you have handy to scrape down the old thinset.
Old 10-18-2018, 05:16 AM   #115
smifwal

Utility knife to cut the mesh to separate that tile from the rest( carefully as to not puncture the waterproofing) a wood chisel or a low grit sand paper to sand off the thinset (again being careful not to damage the waterproofing) the wood chisel take a steady hand at just the right angle.You don't need to hammer it, you can drag the wood chisel instead of driving it. A grout removal tool works good also.

Last edited by smifwal; 10-18-2018 at 05:18 AM. Reason: Lou has faster fingers than I do
smifwal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 06:47 AM   #116
Gozo

As said above, but be REAL careful with removing the thinset from the Schluter membrane. The only thing it has to bind to are the fibers. If you scrape right down to the orange, you’re likely scraping off the fibers as well. Nothing (mortarwise) sticks well to the raw smooth plastic. I’d leave a thin layer of thinset remaining and then bond to that. Being such a small area, a modified mortar would probably be fine and give you some extra stickiness, just give it some time to start to cure before regrouting.

Last edited by Gozo; 10-18-2018 at 06:47 AM. Reason: Awful speelling :)
Gozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 09:13 PM   #117
SemiDriven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou MA
In most cases the moisture from the thinset has weakened the bond of the tile to the mesh backing. Take a small putty knife and pry out the loose mosaic and it should come out fairly easy. If you notice it’s still attached to the mesh and pulling up adjacent tiles, just carefully cut out the loose tile - without nicking the Kerdi - while still prying it out.

Start prying between the loose tile and another mosaic. Hopefully you won’t chip the tile you’re using as leverage, but if so, it’ll be easier to replace a second mosaic than a bigger field tile.

Then use the putty knife or whatever you have handy to scrape down the old thinset.
Great advice Lou! Wasn't a moisture issue in my case. While laying tile adjacent to that area, I managed to elbow the spacer dislodging the glass tile. Even after putting it back into place, the thinset was too far along to hold it firmly in place.

Last edited by SemiDriven; 10-19-2018 at 05:11 AM. Reason: Proper Quote Etiquette
SemiDriven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 09:16 PM   #118
SemiDriven

Quote:
Originally Posted by smifwal
Utility knife to cut the mesh to separate that tile from the rest( carefully as to not puncture the waterproofing) a wood chisel or a low grit sand paper to sand off the thinset (again being careful not to damage the waterproofing) the wood chisel take a steady hand at just the right angle.You don't need to hammer it, you can drag the wood chisel instead of driving it. A grout removal tool works good also.
Utility knife and wood chisel: genius! Careful cutting and scraping did the trick. Pushing the wood chisel blade forward in shallow passes worked best for me. Thanks Shawn!

Last edited by SemiDriven; 10-18-2018 at 09:25 PM. Reason: Proper Quote Etiquette
Old 10-18-2018, 09:18 PM   #119
SemiDriven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gozo
As said above, but be REAL careful with removing the thinset from the Schluter membrane. The only thing it has to bind to are the fibers. If you scrape right down to the orange, you’re likely scraping off the fibers as well. Nothing (mortarwise) sticks well to the raw smooth plastic. I’d leave a thin layer of thinset remaining and then bond to that. Being such a small area, a modified mortar would probably be fine and give you some extra stickiness, just give it some time to start to cure before regrouting.
Got a few spots where I got down to the orange fiber. Overall, it is still mainly covered in a thin layer of thinset. I'm using Glass Tile Premium Thinset Mortar (Custom). It bonded well to the Kerdi. Haven't grouted yet so no worries! Thanks Jeff!

Last edited by SemiDriven; 10-18-2018 at 09:25 PM. Reason: Proper Quote Etiquette

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase