Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Found usc_block_11 empty, added this: [CODE] [/CODE]
Sponsors

Old 09-06-2018, 02:46 PM   #1
TMacDad
Taylor

First Shower - Middle of Project

Hello Everyone,

I am currently in the middle of doing my first bathroom remodel. We bought our house in December '16 and have never used the master shower...as it was leaking upon further inspection. The time has come to change that with a proper shower and I am currently in the middle of the project. I have learned a lot from this forum and thought I would post mine and see if there is any feedback and/or advice.

I am using LFT [12"x24"] tile with a kerdi membrane, kerdi drain, schluter curb, kerdi board 12 x 28 niche and mud floor.

So far I have:

-Gutted the old shower, installed new copper lines with a Delta R10000 valve etc
-Brought all studs in plane with one another
-Added additional support underneath the shower area [ I have full access to plumbing and framing below]
- Installed 7/16 Wonderboard - screwed with screws for wonderboard every ~6 inches
-Framed for schluter niche and installed
- added layer of new subfloor as previous shower only had 1/2"!!!! of subfloor yikes! [not completed in the photo; I also fixed the massive hole the last guy cut for the flange]

Next Step:

-tape/mud the seams
-install curb
-kerdi the walls
-install mud pan with the kerdi drain
-kerdi the pan and finish waterproofing with kerdi band etc.

Then I should just have to tile/grout correct? I plan on using T-lock leveling system and I will be installing a glass door.

Any thoughts? Does my work look ok so far from the attached photo?

Thank you! ...I cannot get the photo turned to portrait view on this site like the original is.

Taylor
Attached Images

Old 09-06-2018, 03:34 PM   #2
Joe-Tile

Looks good so far. No need to take and mud the corners or seems as the kerdi band does that. Unless your bored in which case I've got a few odd jobs for you. I personally like to get my kerdi on the walls first, then band the vertical corners. I set the kerdi on the floor next either over mud or foam pan. Then assuming your curb is already in place, kerdi up and over it, then band the floor to wall transitions. Lastly i do the corners and the curb top seals. I always cut down the curb height so it's lower depending on the application. Some are very low some are still 3.5 inches.
I do that order because I found that if you do the kerdi band first and then the kerdi sheets you tend to squeeze out the thinset from there sheets behind the kerdi band and it is very difficult to get out. Unless you do the kerdi band and let it dry first.
Use the proper thinset and trowel and a 6 inch taping knife. I give the taking knife a quick couple seconds on the grinder to knock the shape edges off the corners, it makes it easier.
Joe-Tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 03:53 PM   #3
TMacDad
Taylor

Thank you for the tip on the taping knife. I will definitely do that.

I do plan to cut the curb down 1-2 inches. I took into consideration the finished floor height of both the shower and bathroom and the Schluter curb is shockingly high. It looks like a lot of people use a table saw with success to rip it down. I will also install at a slight pitch into the shower.

My biggest area I am scratching my head on is...

One of the outside edges of the shower cuts back deeper into the bathroom. I plan to bring my tile around the corner. I also plan to use a Schluter profile on the corner. The question is...do i remove that drywall as well and put up wonderboard? Do I need to install corner bead with thinset? What prep work is needed to turn the corner? That wall is plumb etc.

Thank you.
Attached Images

Old 09-06-2018, 04:23 PM   #4
cx
Da Home Builder

Welcome, Taylor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe
No need to take and mud the corners or seems as the kerdi band does that. Unless your bored...
I'm gonna go a step further and recommend you do not fill and tape any CBU seams before installing your Kerdi, regardless how bored you might be. You can thank me later.

You do not want any corner bead on any corner that will receive ceramic tile. You don't even want the outside corner to be very sharp. You'll find it much easier to wrap your Kerdi around it that way. Doesn't matter whether you have gypsum board or CBU on the outside of that corner, so long as you have one or the other.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 04:56 PM   #5
TMacDad
Taylor

Thank you, CX!

I will probably either put new drywall there or CBU I have left over as the old drywall is not flush to the corner. That was the reason I was going to use corner bead. Iím glad I asked. I need to get the corner right.

Iím trying to think if I have any other questions right now or not. Thanks again!

Taylor
Old 09-06-2018, 05:18 PM   #6
tatumjonj

I've still never understood why every other person uses cement board under their Kerdi. Waterproof membrane!
Old 09-06-2018, 05:52 PM   #7
TMacDad
Taylor

Jon,

The reason I did was for added insurance if for some reason the kerdi or kerdi seams ever fail. That probably will never happen, but I would rather cement board get wet than drywall. Originally I bought drywall to put up, but I decided CBU instead. I did not mind the added cost. I did not do it out of ignorance as your post implies. I know drywall is an acceptable substrate for Kerdi.

Taylor
Old 09-06-2018, 06:36 PM   #8
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I've heard of installers using CBU under Kerdi in case there's ever a plumbing leak behind the Kerdi. Most likely wouldn't happen but who knows.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 07:33 PM   #9
TMacDad
Taylor

Davy,

Thatís a great point! If the substrate gets wet from a plumbing leak that can be fixed through an adjacent wall it will not be compromised if itís CBU. If itís drywall then you may be looking at a bigger problem. Personally I weighed the option between drywall and CBU and cost really was the only consideration, but by no means breaks the bank. I just came to the conclusion there were additional pros to CBU as the substrate.

Like you said, it probably wonít happen but it can and CBU is an advantage at that point.
Old 09-06-2018, 09:28 PM   #10
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

For those reading along, CBU under Kerdi also works well in area that flood. Simply remove the drywall from the other side of the wall and let the space dry out. No need to retile the bathroom.

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 08:34 AM   #11
TMacDad
Taylor

After a long vacation, I installed the curb, Kerdi drain and mud pan this past weekend.

This is my first time doing work like this, and I am super happy with how the pan came out. Its level all the way around and slopes perfectly to the drain.

I will be putting Kerdi over the pan, curb and seems tonight. Then I will flood test it on either Thursday or Friday night and then I will be ready for tile.

We are still deciding the exact tile etc that we are going to use. I think we might go a shade darker gray on the floor tile to make it pop a bit.

Some advice for people looking to do their first reno that I have learned along the way that cost me a little extra money....

I was intimidated about doing a mud pan, so I ordered a complete 48"x48" kerdi shower kit. After learning more before starting the shower it was brought to my attention that the foam pre-sloped pan will not be level all the way around when you cut it to desired size. My sub-floor was also slightly out of level. Instead of going through the extra work and cost of leveling the sub-floor, I decided it was best to do a mud pan. I am glad I did. That being said, I have wasted money in an unused tray.

I have also started mixing/using half bags of Schluter Allset. To make it easy, I weigh out 25 lbs and cut the water for a 50 lb bag in half for the desired consistency. This seems to work best for me with little waste.

I will post an update at my next milestone.
Attached Images

Old 10-17-2018, 06:58 PM   #12
TMacDad
Taylor

Considering marble tile instead of porcelain....need help.

What are the pros and cons of marble? We are considering something in the Grecian White range.

Is it not as durable?

How often do you have to seal it? Will it stain if you keep up with proper sealing?

We are considering it right now since we love the look and there are a ton of matching trim/decorative pieces easily available etc.

Any help deciding for or against natural marble would be awesome! Thank you!
Old 10-17-2018, 07:28 PM   #13
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I'd use the porcelain. Marble is porous and when water soaks in, sometimes will turn the color darker. Sometimes every piece around the bottom of the walls will turn darker, sometimes just a piece here and there and sometimes it will just soak in around the edges of the marble causing picture framing. It's unpredictable as what it may do. Sometimes it doesn't change shades at all.

The marble sealers let the marble breathe. So moisture can soak in and if given enough time it will dry back out. So sealers aren't going to help with this problem.

Marble is also harder to maintain. Care has to be taken to not etch the stone with harsh cleaners.

www.davystephenstile.com
Old 10-18-2018, 11:56 AM   #14
TMacDad
Taylor

Thank you for your reply regarding the marble. Selecting tile has been the biggest struggle of the entire project. Haha.
Old 10-18-2018, 12:18 PM   #15
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Figure out what kind of edging you want on the tiles. I tell customers to find a tile that has an available matching bullnose. Or, you can use edging that Schluter has available.

www.davystephenstile.com

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase