Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 09-19-2012, 01:24 PM   #1
gonemob

Newbie Deflecto question and subfloor question.

Newbie with questions:
1. Does my deflecto number of 687 make sense?

2. What are recommendations for the subfloor?

3. For a first time tiler, is the Kerdi system recommended or something else? I have John's book and can follow directions, but if there is a more idiot proof way, I may want to go that route for my first time (but I do want to do this myself).

4. I just finished the demo for my first floor bathroom, have it down to studs, and want to make sure I'm starting off with a good base. The joists are great d.fir 2x10 on 16" centers. While the total length of the joists are about 15', the bathroom is about 11' long and there is a wall in the basement under the joists at 11' too. That is why I went with the 11' length.

5. Also, I've replaced the badly water damaged 1/2" plywood subfloor around the shower and toilet. Due to ductwork in the floor, there are are a few spots that I could not reinforce and are springy(just the plywood where not supported by joists). The original floor had ceramic tile over about an inch of concrete over lathe. Should I go back with concrete, or more plywood and cement board?

6. Finally, should I have split this into different threads?

Last edited by cx; 09-19-2012 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Add numbering
gonemob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-2012, 01:45 PM   #2
cx
Da Home Builder

Welcome, Dave.

1. I dunno, depends upon what you intend to do with the result.

2. See #5.

3. We've helped lots of first-timers build Kerdi showers. You might also wanna look into the traditional method as depicted in the Shower Construction section of our Liberry.

4. Depends upon whether the wall below is actually a support wall. Some photos might help, but it's really something you're gonna need to determine on site.

5. Above you said you'd demolished the floor down to the joists, but now you have patched, damaged, partially unsupported half-inch plywood. Exposed joists would be a better place for you to start. What is it that you currently have?

As in number 1 above, we need to know what is your intent for the finish of this floor to best help you decide what you need for subflooring. And we need to know if you need to raise the floor for your intended purpose.

Give more hints and keep all your project questions on this thread. Attaching some photos using the paper-clip icon above the Reply dialog box frequently helps.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:12 PM   #3
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

Dave,

WHat CX said plus;

We need to know what types of tiles your putting where - porcelain, ceramic, natural stone....

Also, kerdi is for walls, there are other products for flooring.

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase