Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 11-16-2006, 02:48 AM   #1
simon arlidge

Question traventine wall tile in shower

I have 300mmx3000mmx12mm travertine tiles for floor and wall (filled with a matt finish not the high gloss)in the bathroom - i have put up the plasterboard (different name in states?)and now want to tile the shower sides. Can i just apply the tiles straight to the plasterboard or do i need to seal the plasterboard first? Also, I have noticed that many tiles are laid without a gap and butt together. How do i seal this in a shower situation?

While i am here I intend to lay the floor tiles over 18mm plyboard (on top of 19mm wood planks on joists). Do i just lay the tiles on a bed or do i have to seal the plyboard with something? thanks simon
simon arlidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 11-16-2006, 08:09 AM   #2
bbcamp

Simon, you should have a backerboard (cement board) over a plastic vapor barrier on the walls in the shower stall. You can use a waterproofing membrane over plasterboard, but that will depend on what's available to you. Membranes are usually an entire system, so check around to see what's available and we can discuss how to install it. Bottom line: don't install your tiles directly on plasterboard in your shower.

You need to install some sort of backer board on the floor, too. Tiling directly to plywood is a risky proposition, and I'm sure you won't want to go through all of this again if you can prevent it.

P.S. There is a method for setting floor tile on a mud bed. It will add 3/4" to 1-1/4" to the height of the floor. Not an easy job for a DIYer.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2006, 01:04 AM   #3
simon arlidge

membrane backing

Many thanks Bob - will check this membrane out and get back but i'm starting to think this may be a job for a pro..?
simon arlidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2006, 07:22 PM   #4
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Simon,

You in England? Check out Schluter Systems. Use the Kerdi products in the shower and Ditra on the floor. You'll still have to meet Bob's requirements for the structure of the floor.

http://www.schluter.co.uk/143.aspx
John Bridge is online now   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase