Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 09-22-2021, 09:27 PM   #1
jerrymlr1

Steam shower

So, I'm tiling a pool for this nice lady and her family. She asked if I could tile her steam shower after I'm thru with the pool. I have another pool lined up but I think I could make it work. I haven't been by the house for a month or so, but I drop in today and the entire area is covered in purple drywall on all the vertical surfaces and hardi 1/2" on the benches. To make matters worse, all the joints are taped and mudded. The celing is sloped, but also drywall and painted.....

I talked to the homeowner today and explained to her that this is not how to construct a steam shower. I was told that they were doing all the bathrooms like this. From what I can tell, it looks like they are applying redgard over the taped and mudded purple walls and then tile.

From my experience and reading thru the forum, I am going to tell her that the drywall needs to be removed and we can start over. I couldn't even use kerdi because one, the drywall mud, and two, Iwill be installing Bisazza thruout the steam shower. I need to do some reading up on the finer points of building a steam shower. I have the pool thing almost down now, but have't tiled a shower since I did my own a few years back.

I could use any and all input so's I can get this right. I shoulda taken pics but didn't think about it til I hit the road.
Unread 09-23-2021, 02:49 PM   #2
Tile & Stone Guild
King Of Tile

Sounds like you know what to do Jerry. So is this a full shower of 1x1 mosaics?
Unread 09-23-2021, 06:16 PM   #3
jerrymlr1

Yes. 20mm Bisazza. My understanding of steam showers is that it needs to be vapor proof, not just waterproof. I’ve looked around a little and haven’t found much else other than the sloped ceiling.

I guess what I’m asking is what is the preferred method with those here who have done steam showers. I have no problem doing mudwork, but should I use a felt paper or plastic sheeting behind it or is a topical Redgard equal to or better. Redgard specs out as a vapor barrier. Either works for me. Any better options?

The GC is gonna have a cow when the homeowner lets him know that I said the purple stuff isn’t good with any of the showers. Seriously tho. Drywall mud in a shower? You would think a high end GC would know this. I already butt heads with him a little on some pool issues.
Unread 09-24-2021, 05:48 AM   #4
Tile & Stone Guild
King Of Tile

Personally feel Redguards value is overrated, I had issues with bubbling and joints cracking and the Reps reply was cut out the bubbles and recoat. Not a answer IMO. These always put a question in my head about liquid membranes. Not implying that aren’t a option when used correctly but not my cup of tea.

Mud work and Kerdi on top is all you need if that’s a route you want to take. That’s my preferred method but certainly not the only one that will work.
Unread 09-24-2021, 09:15 AM   #5
Dave Gobis
da Man!

I agree with your assessment Jerry and I would not use a liquid unless this is a low use application.
Dave Gobis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2021, 06:37 PM   #6
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I don't tile very many steam showers but the last one I mudded and applied Kerdi over it.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2021, 07:14 PM   #7
jerrymlr1

I was thinking Kerdi wasn’t good for mosaics. Guess I was getting ditra and kerdi mixed up. I’ll look into it. Thanks.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase