Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 08-13-2021, 12:30 PM   #1
Lou_MA

Pebble floor and industry standards

Are there industry standards or expectations in regards to water pooling in the larger grout joints of a flat-cut pebble shower floor?

I grouted a few days ago. And even though I upped the slope to almost 3/8” per foot, I wasn’t able to get the grout flush in the larger joints. It’s only slightly concave but it’s enough to collect water.

Just to be clear, the overall slope is enough to direct most water down the drain. It’s just in between some of the pebbles that’s in question.
Unread 08-13-2021, 02:03 PM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou
And even though I upped the slope to almost 3/8” per foot, I wasn’t able to get the grout flush in the larger joints.
Not understanding what one has to do with the other there, Lou.

I know of no grouting standard specifically directed at pebbles or shower floors. So long as you're complying with the requirements and limitations of the grout manufacturer, your installation should be acceptable.

The other general requirements for grouting, such as full joints and uniformly finished joints and depth and joint width, etc, will all be difficult to achieve and to judge when grouting pebbles, including flat-cut ones.

If water pools in the joints, they're probably not technically correct. Whether you can fix that or not will depend upon the type of grout and the skill of the grouter, eh?

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2021, 02:17 PM   #3
Lou_MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by CX
Not understanding what one has to do with the other there, Lou.
Not a thing. Was only including info about the install’s slope, not my intent to imply it had anything to do with grout level.

I’d like to think the skill of the grouter (me) is ok. But trying to get those large joints flush was an exercise in futility. But if the resulting concavity is acceptable, then the slight pooling must be an acceptable result as well. Curious what people think.

If not, then I need to figure out what everyone else is doing to get flush joints to avoid the problem. Only way I know how would be to have ridiculous slope to overcome grout depressions and that’s not feasible.
Unread 08-13-2021, 05:20 PM   #4
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

With round pebbles, it's going to be next to impossible to get the grout flush with the highest peak of each pebble. If you do, you'll see more grout than rock. Some folks might not like it but they will have small puddles.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2021, 05:27 PM   #5
Lou_MA

Davy - these are flat cut pebbles. Joints range from almost touching to more than 3/8” triangles.

If I waited until the largest joints were ready to tool, the smaller joints were impossible to shape. I ended up timing the wash to the smaller and mid-sized joints, which meant the large joints were still soft, they got washed a bit too low and now they’re collecting small amounts of water.

Might just be the nature of the game. But if other people are having perfectly draining pebble floors with no residual water, well, I’ve got to do something different.
Unread 08-13-2021, 05:33 PM   #6
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

My bad, I see now you mentioned they were flat. What grout did you use?

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2021, 08:31 PM   #7
Lou_MA

UltraColor FA
Unread 08-14-2021, 10:52 AM   #8
Tile & Stone Guild
King Of Tile

Some seem to grout up better than others. I’ve noticed sheets with smaller rocks mixed in tend to do better. The bigger the pieces the worse it is. We do peel quite a bit of the bigger rocks and set individually. Does help but you can only do so much.

Is what it is, I do loathe companies who throw stuff like this on the market without forethought. I do my best to steer people away but being trendy is peer pressure.
Unread 08-14-2021, 11:20 AM   #9
Dave Gobis
da Man!

Pebbles are not tile so no tile standards.
Dave Gobis is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase