Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 11-23-2012, 10:41 AM   #1
stv1

Help! How to build continuous tub deck/shower bench??

Hi all, I am a semi-novice tile DIYer and need some advice on how to properly build/waterproof a tub deck that turns into a shower bench like the below photo.

I have the tub deck built (all the way including where it is the bench). I built it out of wood (see other photo) - but am pausing as I consider waterproofing details. I've done a few showers in the past, but always with traditional vinyl liner / mud pan / hardibacker walls.

Looking at the desired design, I am wondering if I need to use a Kerdi system, or if I could do it by covering bench with backer / red-guard like some folks do when making wood benches. I have never used Kerdi before, so I know virtually nothing about it other than what I've picked up on the forums here. Any advice is greatly appreciated!!
Attached Images

Unread 11-23-2012, 11:12 AM   #2
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Hi Steve, I've torn out several just like that where water had seeped it's way back to the tub deck and rotted the wood so you have to be careful. I've tiled them like that too but they all have been on mud. If the seat and tub deck are framed and built as one, I always tear the seat side down lower by a couple inches so my moisture membrane has a 2 inch vertical lip to keep the moisture in. That vertical area should be just behind where the glass will be, on the tub side.

It might be best to build a short pony wall on top of the seat (4 to 6 inches)for the glass to sit on. Make sure it's all watertight with the membrane on the seat and top of the pony wall sloped toward the shower.
Attached Images

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2012, 12:42 PM   #3
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

Or just waterproof the shower and tub deck as one big section

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2012, 02:03 PM   #4
bbcamp

Did you slope the bench from the glass inwards to the drain?
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2012, 03:20 PM   #5
stv1

The tub was framed (by others) without slope where it becomes a bench. I planned on cutting the bench section down a couple of inches so I can rebuild with proper slope. If I understand the issues correctly, the 2 options I think are within my abilities are:

1. Lower bench, rebuild it with slope (all covered in wood). Build traditional pan w/ vinyl liner up walls including front of bench 6+ inches. Add backer on top of and down front of bench. Tape and fill bench seams & 3 coats of Redgard on all of bench area, extending to sides & on to tub deck as far as possible in case any moisture finds its way up there.

2. Same as above, except add a 4-6" ponywall as Davy suggested and include as part of the backer/redgard membrane. (Hopefully a Redgard membrane is ok if done well... otherwise, not sure how to run a vinyl liner up the whole distance in such a way that i can cover with tile!).

Am i getting this right, or am I totally missing it?? Any other suggestions or options?? Thanks guys - you are awesome!
Unread 11-23-2012, 06:25 PM   #6
cx
Moderator emeritus

I think you've got the idea, Steve. You do not wanna try to waterproof a bench like that using the pan membrane. You need to use a bonded waterproofing membrane, either sheet or liquid, as in option #1.

If you elect to use the liquid applied (RedGard), I'd very strongly recommend you also use a fabric reinforcement at all corners of that bench or even over the entire bench area.

Your pan liner must rise up the walls a minimum of 3" above your shower curb.

You don't need plywood on the front of your bench and you wanna notch the framing there for the pan liner just as you will for the other walls.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2012, 12:27 AM   #7
stv1

Thanks, CX. I've read a ton of your posts & so appreciate the friendly & wise advice! I'll definitely reinforce all seams at the bench.

One last question, given this specific design & my semi-limited experience, what would you recommend for moisture barriers at walls -- traditional felt/plastic behind the backer board; or nothing behind the backer & redguard the walls (with meshed/thinset seams)? Or something totally different altogether?
Unread 11-24-2012, 07:56 AM   #8
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

To me, if you're gonna Redgard the seat, it's best to Redgard the walls and tie it in all together.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2012, 09:02 AM   #9
Houston Remodeler

STAR Senior Contributor

What Davy said plus;

Benches are problematic with liners. If you use a surface membrane (sheet or fabric) then cover the entire surface including the tub deck. You can make a "break point" on the tub deck where the shower glass will set and the bench starts so that it drains into the shower.

Unread 11-25-2012, 10:48 PM   #10
stv1

One last question if you guys are still out there... given this sort of application (Redgard'ing all walls + bench) -- what would you recommend for backer board??

I've only used Hardi in the past, but didn't love it (snapping smaller pieces was pretty tough) - so I'd be totally open to trying something new, and not sure if some are better or worse when doing w/brush-on waterproof coatings.

Thanks again - you guys are awesome.
Unread 11-26-2012, 05:29 AM   #11
bbcamp

Almost any backerboard would absorb liquid slower than Hardibacker. However, Hardibacker can be used sucessfully with Redgard. Simply dilute some Redgard (follow their instructions for gypcrete applications) with water and spray or paint it on. Let that cure, then the remaining coats will go on more easily and dry normally.

Your best investment will be in a wet film thickness gage. Real paint stores will have them, or you can order them online.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2012, 07:59 AM   #12
Houston Remodeler

STAR Senior Contributor

We cut our CBU with a diamond bladed circular saw or right angle grinder. Granted its a bit dusty, but then again its a good excuse to be outside today when its 82ºF. Ad we get nice, square, neat cuts.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase